Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't like these colors >

I don't like these colors

I don't like these colors

Old 02-10-2015, 08:04 AM

One quilt in her colors for her house; a girly quilt for your house. And yes it is kind of a chore to quilt in colors you don't like. That's what it's like to quilt for hire so to speak.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I agree. Make one for her house and one for yours. We don't always have to think big bright and bold, we can think of the colors in a delicate print.
Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
I would make one in the colors she wants. If they live near you make one you would like to leave at your house for cuddle time there.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:14 AM

Do you absolutely have to use all 3 colors in a quilt? If the gold bothers you, leave it out.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:24 AM

If its any consolation my niece insists her baby girl will never see pink . LOL Wait till she hits play groups etc.
Her quilt is to be made of only the wildlife of BC. not the cartoon version but using the true pictures. Rather masculine, But I know this child will be skiing at the age of two and rafting as heaven know what age.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:01 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

When I made baby quilts that someone wanted gold in -I used it as the thread .. Don't know if that idea will help or not ..
Then make a quilt from Grandma to her -playful, babyish, and a little quote from Grandma with love. Keep it at your house and the baby will want to take it home one day ..(personal knowledge with all 3 granddaughters!)
Old 02-10-2015, 09:11 AM

I think coral and navy and gold sound really cool. Not girly! Sophisticated! The stuff that I have trouble with is the gray and pale yellow or faded blue and gray or green and gray or beige and ... - very popular recently. Not a bit cheery! Bring on the bolds and brights!
Good luck!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ View Post
My daughter just had a baby girl in December. After four grandsons, I was thrilled to finally sew for a little girl, using girly colors of pink or yellow. Well, my daughter wants a quilt made with navy blue, coral and gold with no flowers or anything baby-ish. I bought the fabrics that she chose, but I'm having a difficult time sewing these fabrics together. There is nothing that says "baby girl" with these fabrics. The colors are bold and dark. I thought about inserting lighter colors, but I'm afraid my daughter wil be unhappy if I do that.

I bought a couple of baby girl outfits with navy and coral to give me inspiration, and the outfirs are actually quite cute. Maybe it's the gold that doesn't seem to go with navy and coral.

Has anyone else had to sew a quilt with colors you just don't like??
Those colors could be very cute in a Nancy Zieman "column quilt" with some lighter and darker versions of the colors, (pale coral is almost pink....)
Old 02-12-2015, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Do you absolutely have to use all 3 colors in a quilt? If the gold bothers you, leave it out.
Yes, my daughter wants all three colors in the quilt. Not only did she select the colors, but she also selected the pattern, which is made with fairly large triangles. I decided to add some light gold fabric so the quilt will not be so dark.

I guess the younger generation of moms are moving away from pink. My daughter's best friend has a little girl, and she selected teal and silver for her daughter's room. Another friend selected gold and white.