Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I drank the kool-aid

Every other post I read here is, "starch this, starch that". I'm thinking alright, I guess I need to get some. Sheesh. But then I forgot about it. Then I walked into my local thrift store and what was sitting on the shelf waiting for me for a whole dollar? A brand new unused bottle of starch.

Sweet mother of starch. I'm sorry I questioned you. For those of you who've yet to jump on the bandwagon. Run go now! You'll never look back.

we really do know what we are talking about (most of the time)

Blog Entries
    I had to learn the hard way to let it dry before pressing :roll:

So, everyone, if you're starching several yards of fabric, do you ever do it in the washing machine? Or just in the sink and let it hang to dry? (I assume you don't put it in the dryer because it would leave a mess.)

My fingers get tired of spraying...and then I usually do end up ironing while wet, which is not much fun.

i am a convert was a sceptic

Quote Originally Posted by b.zang
    I had to learn the hard way to let it dry before pressing :roll:
    Why? I'm a recent believer in starch (since joining this board - another QB starch convert!) and I'm currently ironing right after starching.

Quote Originally Posted by newestnana
    So, everyone, if you're starching several yards of fabric, do you ever do it in the washing machine? Or just in the sink and let it hang to dry? (I assume you don't put it in the dryer because it would leave a mess.)

My fingers get tired of spraying...and then I usually do end up ironing while wet, which is not much fun.
    OK ... now I see what she meant by not starching when wet. I'm not starching whole fabric - just the cut pieces. So it's no big deal.

i also have just started starching

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Quote Originally Posted by newestnana

OK ... now I see what she meant by not starching when wet. I'm not starching whole fabric - just the cut pieces. So it's no big deal.
    You are starching (and ironing) before cutting though, right? It keeps your cuts more accurate. I think if you starch after cutting you'd lose a lot of the benefit.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Yardage (which can be pretty small for me): I spray the heck out of it and put it in the dryer until almost dry, then iron with steam.
    Blocks: I spray and loop them across the bottom of padded coat hangers and wait as long as I can.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast