Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I finally did it!!! and projects coming out my ears!!! >

I finally did it!!! and projects coming out my ears!!!

I finally did it!!! and projects coming out my ears!!!

Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 AM

Default I finally did it!!! and projects coming out my ears!!!

I've been doing a lot of cutting and piecing lately. It dawned on me that I sit for a long, long time at my sewing table and I can just turn around and iron, which gives me absolutely no time to exercise! Right!!! So I upped my game... and upped my ironing table to the highest level so I have to get up off my lazy butt to iron every time!!! Yes!!! I'm exercising while I quilt! Problem solved ladies!!!

Also, my sewing room is being run over with projects....challenge quilt laying neatly on the counter protecting my SS gift until opening day Dec. 8 at 4 - Right!!!???... Then my Cathedral quilt that I just can't decide how I should lay the top out to piece together, then theirs the 280 3 1/2" split rail fence blocks for my LQS swap (just finished piecing all of them last night! Turning in before the deadline--yes!!). Then, of course, my BH Celtic Solstice fabrics just waiting to be starched, pressed and waiting for the first clue on Nov. 29th. Oh, yeah, and then there's my DGS's Jake and the Neverland Pirates quilt to cut and quilt before Christmas.

I'm so wishing I could retire and stay home to quilt. But then, I'd have to make sure that my DH, doesn't try to freeze me out of the house and turn up the heat. This morning I was freezing to death and found out he turned off the heat because he was to hot yesterday....ugh.....I hate it when he turns off the unit completely instead of just turning down the thermostat. Hot chocolate w/marshmellows...my new best friend.

Here are pics to prove I'm loving my taller ironing table and all my quilt projects....
Attached Thumbnails dsc04425.jpg   dsc04426.jpg   dsc04427.jpg   dsc04428.jpg   dsc04429.jpg  

Old 11-19-2013, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

thanks for the hint.... i have my ironing across the room
Old 11-19-2013, 06:16 AM

Great solution....now what are you doing with the tiny strings? Looks sew pretty on the table.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Your quilt studio looks very organized with a very efficient layout. Love you crystal lamps!!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:28 AM

Hi Linda -- our guild has a challenge quilt/wall hanging event in May, 2014. I'm making a jellyfish and using the strings to embellish the quilt to look like coral. Still working on the design and how to make the jellyfish look real. I have time to figure it out.
Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
Great solution....now what are you doing with the tiny strings? Looks sew pretty on the table.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:30 AM
amh

Excellent plan. Ergonomics are so important when we are sitting sewing.

I personally always have my ironing board far away from the sewing station, and I stretch as I walk to the ironing area. Another good idea is to keep your chair up high. You shouldn't have to lift your arms to sew. I have a drafting chair, because I really like to sit up high. Doing so stops that knot you get in your neck when you sew for several hours. Try a pillow on your chair and if that seems to help, try two. If I'm sitting on a normal chair (as I would at a retreat), I use a gypsy sit upon. It seems to give me some height and seems to exercise those abdominal muscles at the same time.

Everyone is different as to their needs but just keep trying things till you find what works best for your body and whatever issues it might have.

Aileen
Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 AM

Where is the "like" button?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:49 AM

I have a table like that too. Raised up as high as it will go. I covered the entire table with quilted ironing board fabric, then a cover. Both fit on it like fitted sheets so they can be washed.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I'd want to work on the Christmas quilt first as I hate to be rushed. I break up sitting and sewing and standing to rotary cut. I think I would invest in a small electric heater for myself. I hate being cold as it makes the arthritis worse in my joints.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

I am up and down all the time it seams and back and forth, did think of it as getting in my work out LOL