Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8

Thread: I found a fabric I like but...

Blog Entries
    I buy 4 yards and after I find a fit, the balance goes to my stash, and that's fun.

not crazy- smart!! I have quite a few whole bolts- so handy for backings if not the fronts. I have more regrets for what I did not buy than for what I did!

I agree with those who advised you to to buy it if you like it and buy 3 or 4 yds if you really like it. I have 2 1/2 yds of fabric I really like and wish now I had bought at least 4 yds.
    Shops buy fabrics and sometimes the manufacturers will make more if it is really a hot seller sometimes they don't and the shops really don't know until they ask or try to reorder. The fabric reps really try to keep up to date on this but it's usually ??????????? I know this because I have a small quilt Shop.

Blog Entries
    I know if you wait to go back the fabric is gone and you will never find it again.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    If I see a fabric I love I usually buy 3 or 4 yards and go from there. I may not use it for months but at least I have it. Fabric lines change frequently - it's gone before you know it.

If you see something you like and it's part of a new "line" get 2 or 3 yards because once the line is gone, it's gone. There are some basics that companies put out like "Fairy Frost" for example that are made for a long time. But if it's a Spring line for example, when it's gone, it's gone.

I buy when I see it..then go home and design a quilt around it..sometimes it sits for a long time..but I wouldn't take a chance of it being there later ! If it sits..it's called stash..at my house..lol..!!

I'm developing a (what I consider to be) a LARGE stash because the fabric "talks" to me and I just have to have it! My LQS owner told me that because of the huge increase in the cost of cotton, many companies are not making as many "runs" of a fabric pattern, so when it's gone, she can't reorder. If you don't buy what you love now, it may not be available later...

Wow, how many of us have liked a fabric, decided to go back and get it, only to find "sold out"?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliebelle
    I'm developing a (what I consider to be) a LARGE stash because the fabric "talks" to me and I just have to have it! My LQS owner told me that because of the huge increase in the cost of cotton, many companies are not making as many "runs" of a fabric pattern, so when it's gone, she can't reorder. If you don't buy what you love now, it may not be available later...
    I think this is true. The price of cotton lint (the raw material fabric is made of) peaked in March, but it will take a while before the cost of the greige goods (unprinted cloth) comes down. In the meanwhile, consider what it must look like to the fabric manufacturers. They don't want to commit to printing on cloth that costs them the highest price. That would be like "buying high" on the stock market! So they are probably being very, very conservative about how much they print, not wanting to get stuck with high-cost goods. Remember, for every bolt they haven't sold, they are tying up more money than ever before. And yes, the same is true for your LQS.

As case in point: you might remember the "most beautiful floral for 2011" that I posted previews of last fall: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-68880-1.htm. We received the collection this week, when I called the maker to try to order more of the packed all-over floral, I was told that it is already sold out. Actually, they are oversold by about 400 yards. And they are not reprinting. :-(

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8