Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I get to teach quilting!!! >

I get to teach quilting!!!

I get to teach quilting!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 09:38 AM

Awesome - this sounds like alot of fun for you.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 AM

What a wonderful thing you are doing for the girls, they will never forget it. You have a good heart.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 AM

That's wonderful of you to donate your time to teach quilting. I have also taught kids, so here's just a few suggestions: DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING- even that they know the correct way to sit in front of the machine. Keep it simple! I know that sounds easy, but for quick donation quilts, they will want to see something get done, not an interesting design. Beginners will get bored with the precision, and the more talented kids will take over, leaving the less experienced with little to do. And PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE!!! Not everyone's mother ( or whoever) has taught them the basics, and I've found for a lot of kids, even the simplest dexterity needed for a needle and thread does not come easily. Have fun!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:45 PM

Good for you for volunteering to teach those kids. Building any skill like sewing can make a huge difference in terms of confidence and self-worth.
You have an advantage because the kids you're teaching are high school level and want to be there. That makes a huge difference. They will all at least be trying. Maybe after going over the basics have them make a few test seams to see what their skill levels really are. That can help you determine which patterns to let them choose from. I think it's important that they're challenged at least a little bit so they won't get bored.
DP4 might be a good pattern too. Still pretty easy but looks tough to do when it's done.
Rodney
Old 01-14-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
I'm getting everything lined up to teach a quilting class to students in 8-12th grades. I'm so excited.
The students will be making quilts for the orphanage in Haiti that they adopted. These same students sent Christmas gifts to the children down there. The quilts will be hand delivered when the 10th and 12th graders go on their mission trip this summer. They will get to make two quilts: one for the orphanage and one that they can keep and use.
I wrote a donation request for some sewing machines and I'm waiting to hear back about them. I'm hoping to get 10 machines as I may have 20-40 students taking the class. This will be a good activity for learning to share. Otherwise I only have 4 sewing machines for them to use. Ages of the machines 1964 is the oldest, 2 are the early 70's models, and one is late 70's. I'm glad that they made sewing machines to last.

One of the board members gave a wonderful donation to the class.
The quilts will be tied instead of machine quilted as I do not own a long arm and it costs money to have them machine quilted.

I do have a couple of questions:
Where is the most reasonable place to buy quilting thread and also batting?
I'm thinking Joann's with a coupon but maybe there is something out there that is a better deal.

I'm trying to keep the cost down to almost free, that way anyone can join in the fun.

The first day: Quilting SAFETY!!! , equipment, and fabric and pattern selection then cutting.
Day 2 until everyone is done: cutting, sewing, burping (that is what the video called it) and tying.

Please keep my in your thoughts and prayers as I undertake this endeavor. The only compensation will be to see the finished projects as I'm donating 1 1/2 months of my time after school for this project. I can't wait to see all the smiles on their faces and then it will be a long wait until June to see the orphans smiles.

Patterns I'm thinking of: Take 5, Turning 20, D9P, and a few others from Anka's Treasures (by Heather Peterson)
. (No affiliation to her the girls just loved her styles.)

Thanks for reading.
Oklee Quilting Supply, Oklee, MN has rolls of what they call econo batting. 60 inches, 60 yards, $82. I have used this for all my missions quilts and kids quilts. I don't hand quilt it but know people who do and say that they love it. Hope this helps you. Don't remember the phone # but go to a search engine. They are there.

Last edited by Jean45; 01-14-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 01-14-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
Karen, what a great mission project you've taken on.
I looked up the weather in Haiti for December and January, and the lowest low temp I found was 66 degrees. Perhaps the quilts you send to Haiti should have a layer of flannel in the middle instead of batting. The quilts staying in MN will need batting, but the quilts for the warmer climate may be more useful with just the flannel. Perhaps someone from a warmer climate will chime in on this.

I wonder if you were to go to a sewing machine dealer that accepts trade ins, if you could 'borrow' or rent a bunch of their older machines that they take on trade ins. My guess is that many of those older machines get donated to overseas charities, so making a pit stop at your charity event may be feasible. Just a thought.

Another easy quilt is Warm Wishes. It alternates large squares with basically rails. The girls can strip piece, and then cut the rails, which will be quick and easy.

Best of luck with your endeavor.
Blessings,
Kris
I wish that we had a sewing machine store in our town. No luck. I can call and check in the neighboring towns. I'm hoping to get the ones I wrote a donation request for.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:25 PM

I would not use batting at all. It is very hot and humid in Haiti. For the small children, I would use flannel only with the edges serged or hemmed. For the older ones, I would do quilt as you go. In that way, you would not even have to tie them. I would cut the fabric in 5" pieces and sew it right to the backing. Try a piece and see what you think. I believe fleece would be very hot in that climate. Maybe you could do more research. God bless you in your teaching effort.