Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I got so much done today! >
  • I got so much done today!

• I got so much done today!

Old 07-21-2012, 05:12 PM

Default I got so much done today!

a few weeks ago, I bought a little mid-arm and frame. I have decided that I do NOT like machine quilting on a frame! Anyway, I put a quilt on it and basted it this morning. I'm very happy with how that turned out. I may just keep the darned thing around for basting!

I also got a lot done on my dragon fly quilt. I finally had to stop at 8:30 because my fingers and wrists are hurting! I'll probably be able to finish quilting it on my next big quilting day.

I need to get bindings on 3 quilts (4 soon enough!) but I'm so awful at it! I dread it. Oh well. I don't want to wait until December 24th to have to do them!!
    Old 07-21-2012, 05:41 PM
    Power Poster

I don't mind bindings at all. IT's the basting, spray, fusible batting or pinning. Hate it.
    Ohhh, dragonfly quilt. I want to see that one when it's done!!
    i got a Scottie Dog quilt spray basted today and have finished four other quilts that have been in waiting. So i'm on a roll. that is a very good thing for me.
    Old 07-21-2012, 05:48 PM

Don't give up on the mid arm and frame yet. There is a learning curve, and you may eventually be very happy with it. You probably will get to feeling more comfortable by practicing while you baste! Remember -- practice makes perfect!! Kathy
    Old 07-21-2012, 05:50 PM

Wow! You really accomplished a lot today! Congratulations! I cut out a quilt today and have a quilt ready for binding. I love sewing on the binding because I can watch TV as I do the hand sewing. I do not enjoy pinning the quilt sandwich together.

Can't wait to see a picture of your dragon fly quilt.
    Old 07-21-2012, 05:51 PM

I agree with Kathy. Like all of our new toys, it takes time to get use to them.
    Old 07-21-2012, 05:58 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...88-340795.html

No, Im pretty sure I don't like the quilting machine!! It's very basic. Just a machine on a frame. I feel like I'm wrestling it. Wore me out just to baste! It wasn't fun at all! But it got the job done. I'm trying to decide if I want to baste the next one this way (I will also have to wait and see if I like quilting a quilt that's basted with thread)

Here's a pic of the one I basted. Not sure how I'm going to quilt it http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...88-312533.html
    Old 07-21-2012, 06:22 PM

I think it is great! You need to keep going. Don't give up!!!
    Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 PM
    Power Poster

If you don't like removing the basting thread from your quilt, you might try basting with water soluble thread. Superior Threads has some called Vanish that is great for that purpose. Just wash the quilt after quilting and the basting stitches vanish!
    Old 07-22-2012, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    If you don't like removing the basting thread from your quilt, you might try basting with water soluble thread. Superior Threads has some called Vanish that is great for that purpose. Just wash the quilt after quilting and the basting stitches vanish!
    I considered that. I might order some, but I haven't been near a store that carries it in a while! I'm trying to save my money (it all went into that quilt frame/machine!!!) and so I just used some serger thread. I don't think I'll mind too terribly cutting the threads, as long as they don't tangle up while I'm quilting. That's what I'm worried about! I did pretty good getting good, big stitches in rows about every 2-3 inches.
    Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 AM

out of curiosity, what machine and frame do you have? i'm not in the market (yet) for one...but i always like to stay educated. what particularly DON'T you like about it?