Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I got a treasure put in my lap >

I got a treasure put in my lap

I got a treasure put in my lap

Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 PM

A new friend of mine I was showing her my pillows i made out of T's and she works for old ladies so she brought me a full size quilt. I nearly passed out, I told her i couldn't accept such a prize. She said one of the ladies that she works for gave it to her and she had it for so long she can't remember who done it. Please look close, I tried to get the colors as close as possible. This is all hand stiched and the material looks so old. What should I do , let some one machine sew it? i'm not able to sew on my hands and I don't want it to be done wrong. Would it de-face it in any way to have it put together with a quilting machine? Does any one have an ideal how old the material is? That would give me an ideal of how old it is. ty
Attached Thumbnails attachment-73004.jpe   attachment-73015.jpe   attachment-73016.jpe  
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Power Poster

WOW!!! That is a beauty!!! :D:D:D
I think that you could have it quilted by machine, I like to believe that the maker's of these quilts would want them to be used. So it wouldn't matter which way you choose, as long as it is used and loved :D:D:D
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned

I think it would be best for it to be hand quilted. I have an antique Grandmother's Flower Garden that is all hand pieced. I can't bear to have it machine quilted. A friend of mine is going to have some Amish ladies she knows hand quilt it. If you would like to contact her and see if the same can be done for this one, send me a pm.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Power Poster

Lovely, even stitches on the hand piecing, and the seams look quite even. The maker used pretty/interesting fabrics.

I don't know when sewing machines first came out, but if I remember the story correctly, the women that were able to afford them machine quilted their quilts to the max.

The impression I got was that they were showing off a bit.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:31 AM

Lovely quilt. I would continue with hand quilting. It would keep to the original pattern.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:40 AM

Wow!!! What a beautiful quilt . Me I would hand quilt it.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

Wow, that is a treaure! To me, SOME of the fabric looks 30's and 40's, some I'm not sure! One of the neat things about it is the varity of fabric!
You mightbe able to find someone to hand quilt it, but ifyou got it machine quilted, I wouldnt feel bad either, it would be great either way!
Old 05-25-2010, 03:36 AM

If you can't arrange to have it quilted, you could hang it as wall art, until the right quilter comes along.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

it is made with 30's-40's fabrics...it would be great if you could afford to have someone hand quilt it, but if you just want to get it together ... your choice, and pocket book. I have heard there are 'hand-quilters' out there that do not charge anymore than a long-armer so i'd try that route first.
lucky gift/beautiful!
Old 05-25-2010, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
I think it would be best for it to be hand quilted. I have an antique Grandmother's Flower Garden that is all hand pieced. I can't bear to have it machine quilted. A friend of mine is going to have some Amish ladies she knows hand quilt it. If you would like to contact her and see if the same can be done for this one, send me a pm.
Gai, I agree. It would ruin the integrity of this beautiful hand pieced quilt. Just my 2 cents.

I also think some of the fabrics look like 30s, I also have some of my Grandmothers flour sack fabric and looks very similar to the larger flower pattern in the quilt.