Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I guess I knew I would do this sooner or later...

I have developed a bad habit with my rotary cutter. I lock the blade open when I'm cutting and then lay it down. I knew sooner or later I would cut myself. I just did. I barely bumped it with my knuckle....doesn't help that its a new blade either. At least its not worse just a little knick. But I will not be leaving the blade open anymore!

Power Poster
    Bleeds well - at least you know it will be a "clean" cut.

Pam
    I did that, too. Glad we both had small cuts! Darlin', that is gonna hurt tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Some of us just need to learn some lessons the hard way... glad that it wasn't a bad cut!!!
    I too find that I forget to close the blade sometimes :oops: I guess I should look into a new one that closes automatically!!!

Blog Entries
    Sorry you got a cut. I like the ergonomic cutters because they close when you let go.

Be glad you didn't knock it off the table onto your foot. A friend of mine ended up having two surgeries -- the first one to repair the cut tendon and the second one to fix what the first one didn't.

Sorry about you getting cut! What a hard way to learn a lesson!!

Ah well...its just one more scar to add to my hands. I am extremely rough on them...to the point dh has threatened to not let me near knives! lol! Three years ago I cut the same finger on a buck knife....that one hurt. We had to glue it together after it finally quit bleeding. This one will be easy after that. But lesson learned! I just hate the little lock button this cutter. When I lay it down it halfway presses in so its a pain to open....and the reason I lock it open. If it didn't have that little button it would be nice....wonder if it can be drilled out?

Been there, done that and I still haven't learned. I catch myself with the blade open when not in use more often than not.

Unless you're absolutely in love with that particular cutter and couldn't ever use another one, I'd suggest getting one that has an easier button. I use the ergonomic Fiskars, and it is very easy to open and close the blade. Also, Fons & Porter's rotary cutter is always "closed", until you start to cut with it. I wasn't thrilled with that one because of the straight handle, but it is a great safety measure.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast