Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I had given hand quilting, until....

I've tried and tried. First, I can't find a thimble large enough and then trying to get multiple stitches on the needle. No fun. Recently I came across Borntohandquilt's tute. Thank you Andrea! One stitch at a time is fine, and I don't need a thimble doing it the way I understand that Andrea does it. It's great. I've started hand quilting a 1.5" patch 9 patch top which has 140 blocks which I pieced together over a year ago. I'm doing two or three blocks a day. I'll take me four or five months, but I'll have the quilt on my lap most of the fall and winter. This top is patterned after a 1.5" patch 9 patch I have that my great grandmother pieced by hand back in the 19teens or 20s. Thanks again Andrea and all the rest of you with your handquilting helps. Gary

Blog Entries
    I saw that tut and it has really helped me too. I use a thimble but the one stitch at a time works for me. Much more even stitches. Thank you borntohandquilt!:)

She is absolutely amazing! you definitely learned from one of the best...I've always admired her work. So glad it helped you. Enjoy...and dont forget to post pics of your progress.
    Happy quilting!!!

Blog Entries
    Hey, that's great! Keep on going -- I love handquilting, and I am inspired by Andrea's work.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I've always handquilted at one stitch at a time!
    Mainly because I have little feeling in my hands/fingers and can hardly tell I'm holding the needle as it is. My handquilting has received kudoes and I like it, so.....one stitch works for me even if it is slower. :D Go for it!

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    I may try this on a small project too, it looks so much easier than trying to load the needle :D:D:D

Oh my, this is wonderful to read that I could encourage you all to keep on the beautiful craft of handquilting! I feel very pleased and honored and I am really happy.

Thank you!