Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I had to make myself STOP looking at feedsack fabrics on Ebay! >

I had to make myself STOP looking at feedsack fabrics on Ebay!

I had to make myself STOP looking at feedsack fabrics on Ebay!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

I peruse the ebay offerings every so often, and got so exhasperated today with the ridiculous prices for little bits of feedsack scraps. So many have been cut up into tiny pieces, too. 5" X 3"? I guess I can forget trying to find a good deal on Ebay... sigh.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Banned

what specifically are you looking for in feedsacks.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Banned

i understand what you mean about prices. i saw an 11"x19" piece for 9.95 That makes it over $80.00 per yd

I have a gold mine sitting in the closet in my basement.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Holice
i understand what you mean about prices. i saw an 11"x19" piece for 9.95 That makes it over $80.00 per yd

Yes, if you cut it up into lots of 20 pieces that are half the size of a charm square, you could probably retire, LOL!

I just look at the lots... I LOVE that fabric and have been collecting some, when I can find it. I was stupid enough to make a full apron out of some of mine a couple of years ago, not knowing it was probably a $200 apron! Oh well, I can always cut up my apron. :oops:
Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I peruse the ebay offerings every so often, and got so exhasperated today with the ridiculous prices for little bits of feedsack scraps. So many have been cut up into tiny pieces, too. 5" X 3"? I guess I can forget trying to find a good deal on Ebay... sigh.

Did I ever hear and sympathize with you!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 AM

Yes, you could probably retire or be close to it on those if you aren't already.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Yes, if you cut it up into lots of 20 pieces that are half the size of a charm square, you could probably retire, LOL!

I just look at the lots... I LOVE that fabric and have been collecting some, when I can find it. I was stupid enough to make a full apron out of some of mine a couple of years ago, not knowing it was probably a $200 apron! Oh well, I can always cut up my apron. :oops:
just realized when i looked closely at your avatar that it is the same machine my fiance[sp?]bought me for my b-day last june!have never seen another one according to serial # it is 1909.it is in a treadle table[someone made for it]but it has been changed to electric]still haven't sewn on it,ialso bought a pfaffqe4 that im still trying to learn.
i have never seen any other machine w/the foot screw in the back.didn't come ww/ any acces. but i did send for manual [thanx to billy]
do you use yours,like/love it?would love to hear from someone who knows about this machine!it is beautiful & in great shape[decals,etc]
would appreciate any info you can share!
thanks in advance,dar
Old 03-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dar627742
just realized when i looked closely at your avatar that it is the same machine my fiance(sp?)bought me for my b-day last june!have never seen another one according to serial # it is 1909.it is in a treadle table(someone made for it)but it has been changed to electric]still haven't sewn on it,ialso bought a pfaffqe4 that im still trying to learn.
i have never seen any other machine w/the foot screw in the back.didn't come ww/ any acces. but i did send for manual (thanx to billy)
do you use yours,like/love it?would love to hear from someone who knows about this machine!it is beautiful & in great shape(decals,etc)
would appreciate any info you can share!
thanks in advance,dar
Heck yeah, I love it in the extreme... Today I am piecing a quilt on it. My main machine for the past 30 years has been my Bernina Record 830, and the Singer 66 makes nicer stitches and smoother seams. Just beautiful sewing and the sound is so soothing- tickety, tickety when going slow. Mine is a 1908 treadle. If I had yours I'd take the motor off and turn it back to a treadle (SET IT FREE!). I love treadling.

Yeah, these older 66s are "back clamps", or I should say have back clamping feet. Those are harder to find. Because of that, lots of people have changed their pressure foot bar to one that takes side clamping feet, which are plentiful. I like my back clamp and plan to keep it original. I got a lot of feet with the machine and an awesome parlor cabinet. It's also got the Brown Lotus decals, versus just Lotus. I got so blessed when I found this beautiful machine!

You can ask me anything you like about it. You should sew on yours! Put some Liquid Wrench in all the oiling spots, and wherever metal touches metal, let that sit a bit, then clean it out and replace it with new sewing machine oil. You will have to take off the face plate, rear inspection plate, and the bobbin plate to get to everywhere, so while you have them off, also clean the lint and gunk in there. That may be all your machine needs to sew smooth as silk.

Several people on this board have this same machine. I think Billy has one (??), CabbagePatchKid, and several others. A few years later they started putting the Red Eye decals on them, but these Lotuses are early...
Old 03-26-2011, 12:53 PM

I love the look of feedsacks but can't understand why they are priced so high. I don't like to make anything out of them because they ravel so bad. I would much rather have the 30's prints that look a lot like feedsacks. I like the old look.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:58 PM

yeah, I wanted to buy feed sacks too to go into making a quilt, but the price is just too high.