Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have also fallen in love with applique...to discover I have pronounced it wrong :) >

I have also fallen in love with applique...to discover I have pronounced it wrong :)

I have also fallen in love with applique...to discover I have pronounced it wrong :)

Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by MissQuilter View Post
That is also how they pronounce it in England... Very aristocratic!
The Scots have long held an alliance with the French - a little more emphasis on the 'li' please http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=applique
In all seriousness, I don't think it matters how people pronounce words as long as they can make themselves understood. Y'all pronounce 'scones' (which should rhyme with 'yawn') differently, which are like your biscuits. You call our biscuits cookies.................tomato/tomato.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:10 AM
QM
Power Poster

The word is French (means applied, or attached) so the end is pronounced -cay. However you say it, I love to do it too. If you want some really good hints on hand applique', check out Elly Sienkiewicq (a name I am sure I mispronounce). Fortunately, most quilters are more interested in what you do than what you say or how you say it.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:03 AM

And let's not forget about Janome...Ja-NOME vs Ja-NO-me.

Part of the problem many Americans have with French words is that we eliminate all the accent marks that give clues to the pronunciation. It's written appliqué, façade and voilà...at least 'en français'.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
I did the same thing, pronounced it app-leek! And I still say it like that, sounds better to me!
Hey Trish, I was wondering if you would respond to this one. No matter how you pronounce it, your appleek is really great.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:33 AM

I have just loved this thread..... living in England we have lots of different dialects and pronounciations....

When we lived in Leicestershire, at school DD was always asked to say the word BATH (as she pronounced it) as they pronounced it BAFF....... they always said that she was posh (she is not and neither are we).

It is a funny old, but lovely cosmopolitan world and I love it!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 08-11-2012, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ View Post
"Scraps" -- what a perfect name for the dog of a quilter!
I agree! I had a BFF who had a kittie named "Buttons" & I thought that was quite fitting, too!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:26 PM
QM
Power Poster

The problem with pronunciation is probably partly the spelling. It should be applique'. The accent makes the ending have the -cay sound. Otherwise it would be like Dominique.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 PM

I have a dear dear neighbor from South Texas and one day she stopped and asked me if she could borry some All. I told her I didn't have any as I used another laundry detergent. She looked at me as if I had lost my mind and said, "No not All. . . .a can of All for my car, the engine is low on All and I have to go to town to get my spare TAR fixed before I can go to work. I of all people should have been able to figure this out, my mom was born and raised in Southern Missouri, 20 miles from the Arkansas line. I love a southern accent. Makes me miss my mom!!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:10 PM

My quilting companion says aplikay I say appliqué we agree to differ no one is right. Is it potato or potato . Tomato or tomato the important thing is we love days out chatting (quilting) and going to
Local shows to talk even more about quilting. Then a drive home about quilting notions seen or quilts liked. We never go around a show together it is amazing the things we both see or miss.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 PM

my friend and i used to read books to each other as a means of sharing the book so neither had to wait for it. we finally developed a catch phrase, " i know what it means, i just can't pronounce it!"
i thought janome was pronounced jan- gnome. imagine my surprise in a class when the leader said jan-no-mee. any other quilting terms i need to learn? see, i know what it means..... lol