Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been defeated........BY SCRAPS! >

I have been defeated........BY SCRAPS!

I have been defeated........BY SCRAPS!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by betlinsmom
Not to worry, make yourself a warm cup of tea to go, drive yourself to your fave LQS and buy 15 yds of the prettiest fabric you see. Take a 2 day vacation in your sewing romm and call us in the morning!!! This is a sure fire way to deal with scraps!!!!! teehee
LOL ... oh, too funny! :lol:
It started snowing about three hours ago ... and, I am thinking: I am sure glad I have been storing fabrics for DECADES waiting to get snowed in. Maybe this year! :wink:
Old 11-13-2009, 09:31 PM

What part of the start of Washington do you live in? My son lived in Seattle for 2-3 years and they got snow there, which is quite rare, I think. He had his car on the street as it was to icy to go anywhere last Christmas, and it was hit at least 5 times, and people left him notes or called him about it to let him know about it.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:46 PM

I live in north central Washington, across the Cascades from Seattle, though I was born and raised on the west side of Washington state.
You are correct ... snow in Seattle is rare, and when it happens, no one is prepared for it, no one knows how to drive in it ... and, trust me!
Even people who KNOW snow have never driven in that awful white stuff on the west side of Washington state and NW Oregon.
The snow is complicated by the fact that it is very wet, and very heavy ... not like most places receive snow, which is usually dry.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 PM

I can believe it would be hard to drive in the wetter snow. Wouldn't that be a lot like sleet? I am used to dry snow, I grew up in Michigan ( 1 st knuckle of thering finger, left hand) If you can follow that. When you are from the lower penninsula of Michigan, one can use the left hand as a map to show places in Michigan.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Janis
I can believe it would be hard to drive in the wetter snow. Wouldn't that be a lot like sleet? I am used to dry snow, I grew up in Michigan ( 1 st knuckle of thering finger, left hand) If you can follow that. When you are from the lower penninsula of Michigan, one can use the left hand as a map to show places in Michigan.
Well, that is the most interesting way to tell places I have ever heard! Cool!
it is more like driving in cold nose drainage, than sleet ... sleet is ice balls <g>, but I might just be splitting hairs, eh? LOL
Old 11-13-2009, 11:01 PM

What a way to describe it!!!! Here in central Indiana, we get some snow, and a lot of rain in the winter. Not enough snow to shovel usually. The winter after we moved down here, 78, we had a blizzard and the business in the downtown in our town were closed for 5 days. Grocery stores were rationing milk.
Snow here is a 4 letter word. When SNOW storms are forcasted for here, everyone panics and goes to the stores to buy milk and bread. I worked on the bakery of our Kroger and one year they forcasted a big snow for the day after New Year's Day. That night when I went in to bake bread, I had 1 loaf of raisin bread on my shelves. The rest was all gone. Thy bought bread, frozen bread dough, canned biscuits and all the milk. Extra deliveries of milk were delivered. The storm passed us by.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:30 AM

If you decide to make snowmen, moose, or other caractures, you can piece together their faces and it gives them more personality.
Just a thought.
Marla
Old 11-14-2009, 11:41 PM

Go to PatSpeth.com and she has some free patterns for scrap material. Plus.....Her books on 'Nickle Quilts" is great and a talented and wonderful speaker for any group. Have Fun!!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 AM

Welcome to the board Jeaanne.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:49 PM

Thanks, I hope this web site I mentioned will help you, it sure did me, now I can use all the scraps that my dear friend who passed away several years ago left to me