Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a couple of questions about needle turn applique >

I have a couple of questions about needle turn applique

I have a couple of questions about needle turn applique

Old 06-15-2014, 07:38 AM

The Piece O' Cake ladies also have a book, 'The New Applique Sampler, Learn to Applique the Piece O' Cake Way'. I read several books about applique, and theirs was head and shoulders the best in my view. Everything was crystal clear, with minute instructions and detailed photos. Following their directions step by step, I have found applique to be a wonderful, enjoyable experience.

Nana-up-north, I'm wondering just what you meant by bulges at the outer corner. With all the fabric folded into that small spot, I have been accepting the added thickness there, but now I'm wondering if I should be getting it flatter. Or were you referring to outer bulges?
Old 06-15-2014, 07:38 AM

I haven't used fray-check for years. Even if I could find it I'm sure it's dried up by now. I'll have to get some. That's a good idea. Thanks, Kitsie.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 AM

Thank you so much for pointing us to those! What wonderful tutorials!

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
The ladies from Piece O Cake have a wonderful tutorial on YouTube. She covers these very problems.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Nana-up-north, I'm wondering just what you meant by bulges at the outer corner. With all the fabric folded into that small spot, I have been accepting the added thickness there, but now I'm wondering if I should be getting it flatter. Or were you referring to outer bulges?
I was referring to the thickness at the point. After watching the videos it seems a lot better. There are just little tips that they tell you that make a huge difference. I've been appliqueing all day and it's looking a lot better. I might consider the book. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:21 PM

I try to take a tiny step into the dip part of the turn then use a hat pin to tuck the turned fabric under. Then I take a tiny nip at the background and snug it up and over. The one thing that my Gma kept telling me is that it is not like that point (dip) has a lot of strain. Also if doing a blanket stitch finish you can add extra support with putting a stitch right in the dip.

If not finishing with a decorative "over stitch" I try to make it a two part stitch. One part the needle out of the patch. The other into the background. I do not make the out and in within one stitch. You can angle the needle back under the turned area.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:13 PM

Even though I suggested the Missouri star quilt co. Videos I want to thank the person who suggested the piece of cake videos. They are fantastic!! Thanks!