Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Have Had It!!! >

I Have Had It!!!

I Have Had It!!!

Old 11-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Default I Have Had It!!!

I am quilting the top of a bunk bed sized quilt - all different squares/ rectangles, and decided to do something different on each square/rectangle, simple things, like outline, sitd, straight 1/4", and it has turned into a nightmare. Each star (10 of them) requires me to move this quilt through the throat at least 4-8 times, I am building up muscles in places I have never had in my arms, stuffing the quilt into all shapes and sizes. Never again!!! I had to get a better light to see the fine gray lines that I drew on the dark blocks, there are about 70 different blocks - OMG. My stitches are not perfect, I bent the 1/4" metal thingy right off my new foot jamming the quilt around. I will finish this little "bugger", but there is another one just like it for the other dgs and this one I am doing simple 4" crosshatching. Never ever again - just simple stuff for me!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

Changing direction on a quilt can be difficult. I am teaching myself to FMQ straight lines with the help of a ruler. If you can FMQ, it lets you quilt an area in all directions without rotating the quilt.
You might take a look at freemotionquiltingadventures.blogspot.com/ by one of our QB members on how to FMQ with a ruler on a domestic machine.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:45 PM

Sounds like it is going to be beautiful when you are finished! Keep on going! You will be so happy when you are done! Until someone asks if you can make another one for them!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like it's going to be great, just keep at it. One comment, however, why are you using your foot with the 1/4" flange for quilting? The flange is an edge guide, which should almost touch the throat plate. The edge of your fabric runs against the guide. It's not meant to be used where the flange rides on top of fabric, it will pinch it. If you are straight line quilting you should be using a regular sewing foot or a walking foot if you have it. Might have an easier time with one of these feet.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:10 PM

I hear your pain! I'm currently quilting a queen size quilt, and my quilting plan was rapidly revised when I started actually shoving that thing through the machine. I don't know if this will help you, but here are some things that have helped me:

1. I roll up the extra part that I won't be quilting, cinnamon-roll style, and use extra strips of fabric and safety pins to hold it in place. I used to just roughly roll it, but doing it neatly and pinning has made things much, much easier. For the middle sections, this often involves two rolls - one on each side.

2. My biggest revelation - my machine quilts just fine in reverse! When I get to the corner of a star, I just angle slightly and carefully stitch backwards instead of turning the whole quilt roll. This only works if you can turn your reverse on and leave it there - if you have to hold a button down, it probably won't be worth trying. This took some practice, but now that I've figured it out, it's making things much easier.

3. Like PaperPrincess suggested, reconsider your feet. The 1/4" metal thingy will cause headaches; just use the edge of your regular foot, or the inside of your walking foot. I don't know if a walking foot would be compatible with sewing backwards, but a walking foot does make quilting easier for me.

4. Using a card table or tv tray to support the excess part of the quilt has been helpful as well. The weight of a quilt hanging down is substantial, so supporting it both behind and in front of my machine makes it a bit easier to control.

The best support I can actually give you, though, is just keep at it, take lots of breaks so that you're not too sore, and be proud of what you do, even if it's hard. In the end, I'm with you in only doing straight lines/crosshatching - it's so much easier!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 PM

I agree with paperprincess, you should be using another foot not the piecing foot.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

I like FMQ the best. Perfect pattern for almost all of my quilts.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

If your are quilting on your sewing machine, you need to start learning free motion quilting. It takes some practice just like riding a bicycle. Wish you had posted a picture. Yes, sometimes quilting larger quilts are a pain in the you know where but I am sure whoever is going to get this quilt will be absolutely delighted with it because you made it especially for them with lots of love !!
Old 11-09-2013, 06:20 AM

I have done the same thing...my is still in the closet never did finish it...
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 AM

To add to what Jennifer23 wrote I roll each side but I use the large black paper clips to secure each side. It makes it easier to move onto other sections. Keep at it I am sure your dgs will love it.

FREE Quilting Newsletter