Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have learned to hate square quilts >

I have learned to hate square quilts

I have learned to hate square quilts

Old 09-27-2014, 12:37 PM

Default I have learned to hate square quilts

I really, really hate square quilts. They don't fit the bed not matter what size I make them. Adding border to widen or lengthen just ruins the look of some patterns. I made the Tula Pink, Kiss Kiss pattern in a queen size. I was so in love with the pattern. Queen size....NOT. The material was very expensive and the darn thing is way to short and not wide enough.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-27-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: remove venting
Old 09-27-2014, 01:04 PM

I dislike square quilts also. For a baby quilt, I guess it's ok. Usually I check out the pattern first, because my bed isn't square either, and probably nobody else's is either.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:27 PM

Well, I learned early on in quilting (started 4 years ago after retiring from teaching) that I look at the pattern and then "fix" it so it fits the bed I want it to fit. I don't think that I have made any quilt the way that it was designed. I add additional sashings on the bottom or on the sides to make it fit the way that I need it for the bed that "needs" it. Sometimes there is only one size listed and I figure out how to add an extra row of blocks across the quilt or add to the top or bottom. And like those who have posted, I don't like square quilts either.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Whenever I want to do a square design, I set it on point and then add wider borders to the top and bottom.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:42 PM

I don't like square quilts either but they do fit a King sized mattress fairly well as it is 78"x 80" and that's almost square. Other than King, I don't make square quilts and always add extra pieced borders to lengthen them out.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

I made that pattern with three across and four down Kiss blocks. It made the quilt rectangle.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:47 PM

Square quilts do create a fit problem. Unless I am making them for a little person, I change the pattern up to make it be the size I want. I am with QuiltingHaven. I haven't made a quilt that was exactly like it was designed since I started quilting. Of course, that can cause problems because several are waiting to find out what I am going to do next. I buy fabrics when they are on sale and have a rather large stash so I shop often for ideas in my sewing room.

Happy quilting to all of you!
Old 09-27-2014, 02:10 PM

I agree! Patterns need to be LONG enough to actually FIT a bed. Maybe we should all start emailing the pattern designers and companies to let them know. I only make quilts for beds. (dare I say blankets - that's their original intent) as I think hanging them on a wall is silly. Take a painting class instead.LOL My quilts may look pretty, but I fully intend for them to be used to keep warm in cold weather. I usually modify the pattern if I can and add extra blocks to make it the size I want. I don't buy a lot of patterns though. I find a block I like and go from there. I DO have the little Design Wizard (poor cousin of the EQ&) that helps a bunch. It only cost me $30 and has paid for itself a dozen times over. It' helps me manipulate what few patterns I do buy.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:31 PM

Sorry you are disappointed at your results. A square pattern isn't the best choice for a bed quilt though. That pattern looks like it's 82 square for the "medium" size. A queen mattress is 60x80, so it won't have enough drop to fit if that is the look you wanted. You would have had to make the "large" one, which would fit more like a bedspread than a quilt. I have a 100" square on my queen bed and it's quite large. Probably 90 or 92 square would have fit mine better, but I do have a thinner mattress now than when I made the quilt, so it does fit a bit different than it used to.

Another idea would be to add another row of blocks, then borders. Or you could use it over another quilt and put the square on the diagonal as a decorative effect, or fold it at the foot or over a footboard. In the future, you might want to choose a pattern that is already designed as a rectangle, and large enough for the bed.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:35 PM

I agree, I don't like them either. I usually adjust my patterns to make a rectangle shape. So I end up passing by a lot of "square" quilts.