Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a longarm question? >

I have a longarm question?

I have a longarm question?

Old 12-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Question I have a longarm question?

I have an avante quilt machine and i love it..my question is..when I take up my bobbin thread to do my beginning micro stitches the bobbin stitch will come up also ..once i get going i no longer have them..when i slow down are make a loop the bobbin stitch will come up..if i tighten the tension my thread will break..my bobbin tension is ok according to the tnt video.. Is this normal in longarm quilting?
God Bless
Loretta
Old 12-09-2013, 05:12 PM

I believe it is like this:
Bobbin thread on top = top tension too tight
Top thread on bottom = top tension too loose
Assuming bobbin is right tension.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way you hold onto the threads when you are starting out. For example, if you are holding them up, maybe try holding them more parallel to the quilt? Or perhaps hold the top thread with more tension on it than the bobbin thread? I'm not sure what you mean by the bobbin stitch coming up. You mean there is something wrong with the first stitch you take after bringing the bobbin thread to the top?
Old 12-09-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way you hold onto the threads when you are starting out. For example, if you are holding them up, maybe try holding them more parallel to the quilt? Or perhaps hold the top thread with more tension on it than the bobbin thread? I'm not sure what you mean by the bobbin stitch coming up. You mean there is something wrong with the first stitch you take after bringing the bobbin thread to the top?

I assumed she was trying to describe eyelashing.....I know if you get it on the bottom it means your top tension is too loose, and just did the inverse for it showing up on top....my innova likes tension in the bobbin a tad tighter than what the jamie wallen video recommends.....so I run bobbin tighter. That's why I qualified it to say that if the bobbin tension is set. I also had to get the bobbin winder working right too

I get them when I am moving really fast i have had to learn to slow down

Last edited by CarolynMT; 12-09-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:29 PM

I think you actually need to loosen your tension a bit on the top so it is not pulling up the bobbin thread. Maybe then when you do your loops, it won't pull up the bobbin thread. You maybe don't have to loosen the top tension much. Sometimes just a little bit makes a difference. Are you using the same thread on the top and in the bobbin? Sometimes different threads wil cause some issues.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:33 PM

Yes prism.. And Same tread on top and bottom. I think it's the way I'm holding them but it will also happen when I'm tieing off. Those are also small stitches. Thank you all for your help
Loretta
Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
I assumed she was trying to describe eyelashing.
I don't think eyelashing is the issue, as she experiences this problem only when she is securing the thread at the beginning and at the end of stitching.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:18 PM

A friend told me to wrap the thread around a pin (below the head), stick it in the quilt (below where you are quilting) and cut it immediately after starting to sew. That works, although I use side leaders and put the pin in them.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:46 AM
Power Poster

you need to pull up 3-4" of thread and hold the 2 threads together behind the foot as you start to stitch- after you stitch a couple inches away you can stop & clip the threads- it sounds like you are not holding them firmly as you start to sew... which then allows them to tangle on the bottom of the quilt.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:03 AM

Thank you all so much. I did pay closer attention to the way I'm holding my thread and duhh I'm hold it to the front or side of the foot not behind the foot (which my video says behind duh ) and it works. Again thank you all so much. Everyone on this board is so willing to help. This is my Facebook. Don't do the other.
God bless and Merry Christmas
Loretta