Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have my material cut >

I have my material cut

I have my material cut

Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Hi everyone....My Computer crashed so that is why
I haven't been on Computer.

I went to the Quilting Group tonight and I finally got most of my squares cut, my backing cut, the border cut, and the binding cut. I have 2 by 1 1/4 squares to cut yet - 16 or 32 of them altogether so I just have that to do yet and than I can start sewing them together...Yeah! Than I can sew the border on and than finish it and than quilt it.

Now this is the first time that I have actually started to quilt and I did cut out squares before too but I found out what I was doing wrong in my cutting...I was holding Rotary Cutter on a Angle when I was cutting instead of Straight up and down so I learned that much, I also learned about measuring too, and how to even up the edges, and how to square your pieces up. I had a really good teacher too tonight...and she was being very helpful. She is a very dear sweet lady and she has had Cancer and she is still taking Chemo yet too. In the next couple of weeks I will be able to sew the squares/triangles together...YEAH! I want to get everything cut first before I try to putting it together.

I am taking it easy and slow and I am learning as I go. I have a really good teacher too. The quilting group meets on Wednesday Nights at my church that I go to and the Leader of this Quilting Group is really wonderful too. She is a super lady. We now have a Fabric Store in my town and I am so happy about this.

I will try to get pictures of my Table Topper that I am going to be making sometime soon. I'm almost done with cutting the strips that I need to finish cutting out my tiny little squares.

I am so excited and I love to learn and I was in 7th Heaven tonight cutting out my pieces of material for my Table Topper. I am finally making progress on my Table Topper.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 PM

Sound like you had a great time and are getting even more excited about starting your table topper. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself! Yep! Your are hooked!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Sorry about your comp. I had that happen once because of a virus. I started having withdrawals cause I couldn't get on the message board for a week. LOL.
It is always exciting when you get all your pieces of a quilt cut out. Can we see pic's?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like you have a great class. Congrats on getting the pieces cut out. That's my least favorite part. Now your ready for the fun. Sewing it together.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:46 AM

I am new too, how does she tell you to square up the squares and edges? I just line up my pieces on my mat, cut with my rotary, and square them up that way, is that what she taught you, I hope I am doing it the right way. thanks
Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 AM

This is how she taught me to start cutting and all of that...

You take your piece of material and you go by your lines on your cutting mat to even up the material as much as possible and than you take your long skinny or wide ruler, get it straight on one of the edges of your material and than cut off the uneven edges.

That is the first thing that you do.

The second thing that you do is that you start cutting your strips for your squares/triangles and when you cut your strips you need to cut your strips as straight as possible..that is very important. You want your strip long enough so when you cut your squares than you will have enough to cut all of your squares for a particular size out of that strip. Now for me I took my 3 inch size square ruler and I square up the material and I just used my lines on my 3 inch size square ruler to get my measurements that I needed and just start cutting away on my strips. I still have two more strips yet to cut yet for my other set of squares that I need that will be in between each star block.

I hope I explained this right....

You must first Iron your piece of material first before you start cutting to get the wrinkles out of it.

I have enough material left over that I can play with it and do something else with my scraps of material.

Thanks for all of your beautiful comments....

I'm going to wait awhile before I post pictures because I have it in a bag and I don't want to get my pieces mixed up.

I am getting a tooth pulled next Wednesday and I will be staying with a friend of mine too for a few days so I may or may not be on this message board for a few days Starting on Wednesday just so you will know.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 AM

It's exciting to hear your excitement! Thanks so much for sharing and giving encouragment to other newbies! Can't wait to see a picture of the finished piece. And, good luck with your tooth extraction. Hope it doesn't keep you down too long!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 AM

Thank you...no I shouldn't be - I'm going to be put to sleep for this one.

Yes I am in 7th Heaven now since I have learned to cut my material the right way and learn how to use my Rotary Cutter the proper way too.

This is so exciting.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Sound like you had a great time and are getting even more excited about starting your table topper. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself! Yep! Your are hooked!
It sure does sound like you are hooked. Enjoy!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Thank you so very much...yep I am hooked....