Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a new respect for hand quilters! >

I have a new respect for hand quilters!

I have a new respect for hand quilters!

Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
I stab stitch with my left hand on top and right hand underneath. I simply can't rock the needle and get the small, tightly packed stitches I want. Good job trying though!!
That is how I do it too and I keep winning ribbons so I must be doing something right. ;-)
Old 04-17-2014, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
Practice makes perfect. I quilt differently depending on what kind of hoop or frame I am using. In a floor frame I can quilt with either hand which helps immensely. It took some practice and I am not as fast with my left. I use the soft brown leather thimbles and wear one on the thumb of my left hand and the middle finger of my right. Using a handheld hoop or snap frame I can only quilt with my right hand. The trick is to place your none quilting hand under the frame so you can feel when the needle goes through. Make sure you don't have the quilt stretched so tight that you can not gather several stitches on your needle at one time. As long as your work is basted close enough you can even quilt without a frame or hoop. Good luck!
Never thought about quilting with either hand when using the hoop on floor stand. Makes sense. I'll have to try it. I'm just learning. Like to use the Clover thimble (silicone with metal tip) on middle finger and silicone red tip for index finger. Both on the top hand. The red silicone tip is in a set they sell at JoAnn's to use on all your fingers for FMQ. Works great to grip the needle. I still have been trying various things on hand on underside. Thinking of buying the spoon Jenny Beyers uses. Lots of discussion on the board about that. I also find hand quilting relaxing.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 AM

Maureen, glad too see another beginner here! I love the Clover thimble too. My instructor showed us the spoon technique in class but there weren't any for sale so I haven't tried that. I did buy the "Aunt Becky" (you can google it) but I can't get the hang of that either; you're supposed to wear it on your left hand, underneath the quilt. I'm going to check Jo-Ann's for the silicone fingers, haven't seen those yet.

I just love reading all of these ideas and tips!

I know one thing that's really tripping me up is how the quilt is held in the hoop. I've been hand-embroidering for years, and in that technique everything needs to be drum-tight, so I tend to put the quilt in the hoop way too tightly! I'm trying to "loosen up", so to speak, but it seems so foreign to me.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 AM

Keep working at it and it will get easier. Finding the right tautness for your quilt and learning to rock your needle will eventually feel right, along with using that annoying thimble. DON"T GIVE UP!!!!!!! We need more hand quilters out there!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jory View Post
Holice is a national treasure!
Agreed! I miss him on the Board...

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
...Do you like how I said graze the underneath finger when in actual fact mine gets sore from all the poking?
Ha!! Yes, me too. I often put little dabs of masking tape on the spot that gets "grazed" the most and that helps. I find a finger cot or a bandaid doesn't let me feel the needle well enough to control it. I keep meaning to try Aunt Sadie.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Holice IS a treasure! Unfortunately, and not his choice, he is no longer on QB. I, for one, miss him here.

Jan in VA
Me too, Jan.

Alison
Old 04-17-2014, 06:31 AM

I hate having my finger poked. Hats off to hand quilters. I'll take my long arm and computer. Their work is so beautiful and so is ours. Just in different ways.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

When I first started making quilts, I just tied them. Then one day I just jumped into the hand quilting. My first stitches were probably a quarter inch long. When I compare that to what I can do now, it feels so good to see the improvement. I will probably NEVER be any good at machine quilting, but I do love the feeling of accomplishment that I get when I finish one by hand.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Holice IS a treasure! Unfortunately, and not his choice, he is no longer on QB. I, for one, miss him here.

Jan in VA

Why is he no longer here?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:01 PM

For those who have a hard time "rocking the needle" try instead to rock the fabric. Even if you don't want to buy the aunt becky tool it my help you to understand how to do this by watching her video on you tube.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

I had a friend hire me to machine quilt the remaining of her antique Irish Chain but when I saw that it was all hand quilting except for a small section, I jumped in and tried it. I too ended up jabbing. I was surprised I didn't do too bad of a job but I didn't find any pleasure in doing hand quilting.