Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a problem...Do you have an answer???

Smile I have a problem...Do you have an answer???

I attended a raw edge applique class about 4 years ago. Worked on and completed 12 blocks - 10 X 16 - quite labor intensive. I laid out the blocks in the sequence I needed for the quilt and put a small piece of masking tape with numbers in corner of each block to keep them in order. Got distracted, put the project away in the UFO box. Yesterday I got it out to finally finish up. When I took off the masking tape, it left a residue on the blocks. HELP! Does anyone have any suggestions for removing this residue? Shrinkage won't be a problem because I pre-shrink ALL the fabric I use. All suggestions for removing the residue will be appreciated!

I googled it and there are several suggestions. Some say try Goo Gone, rub gently, and then wash. Also http://www.ehow.com/how_5106861_remo...ue-fabric.html
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Perhaps Goo-Gone?

Do you have any of the same fabrics, in your stash?
    If so, try the goo-gone (or anything you decide to do) on the stash fabric first to check, rather than damage the blocks that are done.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Power Poster
    ​I think your best bet for removing the residue would be Goo Gone but I have no idea if that will bleach the fabric.

complete the project and remove the residue when the quilt is completed/ quilted & bound. goo-gone works well, masking tape is about the worst to use- it always leaves a sticky mess...i've had some luck just saturating the area with 'shout' then washing too. good luck
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    complete the project and remove the residue when the quilt is completed/ quilted & bound. goo-gone works well, masking tape is about the worst to use- it always leaves a sticky mess...i've had some luck just saturating the area with 'shout' then washing too. good luck
    @CKCowl ... do you think Painters Tape is as safe as we are led to believe?
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Power Poster
    I try to mark my projects with a piece of paper with a pin attached in the seam allowance if I am putting my project away. I have never had a pin rust but better safe then sorry. Also watch out for price stickers or labels on fat quarters and remove them right away.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I just wanted to say that I didn't read your post because the size and style of the font, along with the closeness of the spacing, made it hard to read comfortably. You might want to reconsider using this one in the future for those of us who are sensitive to issues like these, but want to read and help.

Thanks,
    Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Blog Entries
    Spray the glue film with pure citrus orange air freshener from home depot and let it set for 10 minutes.>>
    Them scrape it off with the edge of a butter knife.>>

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I just wanted to say that I didn't read your post because the size and style of the font, along with the closeness of the spacing, made it hard to read comfortably. You might want to reconsider using this one in the future for those of us who are sensitive to issues like these, but want to read and help.

Thanks,
    Jan in VA

Agree! These old eyes ain't what they used to be!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast