Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I have a question for all you math wiz's

I am making a disappearing 9 patch... Now if I start out with a 5 inch block - after I sew and cut apart and sew together again. What is my finished size gonna be? 13inches?

I went to my fav quilt shop to buy border material and I came out with fabric for another quilt and no fabric for my border that I was surposed to buy... I am so in trouble. Oh well I was not in that big of a hurry to finish anyway.... I have all winter to finish that quilt... lol

This fabric I bought is gorgeous... It is a two color disappearing 9 patch but it is batiks.... I was gonna give away as a Christmas gift but there is no way this will be leaving my house.

Are you starting out with a cut 5" square or a 5-1/2" square to finish (normally) to 5"?

With your 3 pieces across for your 9 patch, you should come out close to a 13 inch block. I like to leave them alittle big, so I can square them up all to the size of the smallest one. Your should be okay. I am just roughing this in my head, so I could be wrong, but it is what I got. :?

I like the 93+ views and 2 replies to this message :-D

Mathwise, yes, around 13

I assume you're starting out with a 15" block finished (unfinished it measures 15.5 inches). When you cut it in half and sew it back together you will lose only .5 inch in each direction, because you're making a 1/4 inch seam. Your resulting block is 14.5 inches (finished) or 15 inches unfinished.

Blog Entries
    Hey I don't know the answer.. just wanted to see what the answer would be :oops:

Here's how anal I am: When I made some D9P's, I added an extra 1/2" to the center blocks (that form a cross before cutting) to make up for those extra cuts. That way I would end up with EXACTLY the size block that I wanted. Sick....I know!!!

Blog Entries
    If you start out with 9- 5" blocks and sew them together you will have a 14" square block.

When you cut that block into quarters they will each be 7" square

Sew 4 quarters together into a 13 1/2" square block. 8)

I would make a sample block, then you will know exactly what size you get.
    My math says 13 1/2 in. if you start with a 5 " block. I wouldn't want to sq. up a D9 too much because of the pattern of the block.

This retired math teacher agrees with Amma--but those are the numbers in a perfect world. Check out a couple of your completed blocks and square them up to match one another.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast