Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a question regarding preparation for a tied quilt >

I have a question regarding preparation for a tied quilt

I have a question regarding preparation for a tied quilt

Old 11-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Question I have a question regarding preparation for a tied quilt

I am thinking about using ties on a quilt that I am making. Would you use the spray adhesive just as we do for quilted quilts? If so, any tips on problems that may arise using the adhesive? Thank you. Yolanda Wood River
Old 11-04-2011, 05:23 PM

I make tie quit for kids alot, I us embroidery thread and loop( in & out 2x) and tie, I have not used spray qlue, but I guess you could. I make sure ties are about 6 inches, they need to be close and tied 2x. They have been washed and & washed. I have one from grandaugter that is 8 yrs. old. Oh, I use all threads in floss (6).
Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:26 PM

You can use spray basting , but it does not really need it. You can create the sandwich by first getting the back smooth. You can pin to a carpet ( right side down) or you painters tape on a smooth floor. Then spread the batting layer and smooth . Then the top right side up. Pin about every 8 inches or baste . Then tie the quilt.
When I tied a quilt I left in on the floor and tied all in one day so as not to disturb the layers , and I did not need to pin so much.
Spray basting it most effective when the quilting will be continuous and the backing may shift while going thru the machine creating puckers . With tieing there are no puckers, as there is not that continous line of stitching. Tieing is a much more forgiving way of combining the layers.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 PM

You can use spray adhesive... But why bother? I would just tape everything down to the floor or a plastic-type table And start tying. I used to use spray adhesive -before i got my frame - and there should be no problem using it, just added time and expense.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 PM

depends on the size i would not think it would be necessary
Old 11-04-2011, 06:14 PM

I appreciate this answer because I think I'm going to tie my quilts since I'm having trouble with machine quilting them. I also think I may use the spray just because it works so well to keep everything smooth.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:01 PM

I tie most of my quilts. I smooth the quilt back and tape it to the floor. Then, the same with the batting, followed by the quilt top. After all three layers are down, I pin liberally with safety pins. That way, I can pick up the quilt if I don't have time to immediately tie. They come out great!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

Someone posted about using their Q-snap floor quilting frame for tying. They started by laying one section of the sandwich at a time on the frame and then putting on the snap part to tighten a section at a time. When that section was smooth, they put in their ties and then moved to a new section as needed. It sounded like something I would try the next time I wanted to bast or tie a quilt. I already have a Q-snap floor frame.
The last quilt I tied, I smoothed all the layers out on a large table. I clamped the 4 sides to keep it from moving. I then threaded a needle with a looooong piece of embroidery floss and took a 1/4 inch stitch through all the layers at 4 inch intervals. I just clipped between the 4 inch sections and tied the ends in knots.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:10 AM

I use folding sewing boards on our twin beds which are pushed together. Each board fits the top of a twin bed. I put the three layers on the boards, making sure they are smooth and no wrinkles, pull the nearest board onto my lap with the quilt on it so I can sit on a chair and tie the quilt. I can't crawl around on the floor and don't have that much room to lay a quilt out.
I prefer using a quilting frame but don't have room in my home to set one up. If you can borrow a floor frame and some friends, ask if you can use space at your church or local school or if you are really lucky, a friends' rec room. I have even set up a frame in the back yard and tied or basted a quilt.
We have a group at our church who ties 3 or 4 quilts in a session. We use sport yarn, single strand and they go to charities.

Carol J.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 AM

I just sandwich my quilt, I bought some pinmoors awhile back and pin the sandwiched quilt, then I tie about every 4-5inches.