Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have some very bad habbits >

I have some very bad habbits

I have some very bad habbits

Old 06-14-2013, 06:32 AM

Cool I have some very bad habbits

first one is I have no patience and I am not a perfectionist. I know you don't really have to be a perfectionist..but I am not even close..well that is because I have no patience.

Another bad habit. I never pay attention to where the starting thread is. So it usually ends up being a jumbled mess at the start of my fabric. I am working on trying to remember to straighten out the threads.

Another bad habit. I hate to iron. I know that in quilting irons are my best friend. Could be my iron keeps shutting off...time for a new one.

Another bad habit. I can't sew straight to save my life. I just purchased a 1/4 inch foot to help.

So What have I learned.

1/4 inch foot really helps.
Move my starting thread and hold it when I start to sew
Iron is my friend and iron those seams.
Square the block before I sew it in rows

Now if I can just remember the above and not stretch the minky I am putting in the baby quilt. I will be happy.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 AM

Good luck, those are the same habits we all have...lol. Mine is not squaring. Have learned the iron helps and that nasty starting thread. Cannot get in the habit of using a leader and that would work wonders.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

There, there, Steph.

Everyone has to "iron out" their habits to begin quilting. It is just a fact of life for all of us. No matter though, because the new habits you are forming will serve to make you happier when sewing any type project in the future.

When I look back on my first quilting projects, I cringe wondering how I even was able to finish them at all. (This was so long ago there wasn't even rotary cutters and very few instructions available to learn!) Cereal boxes were our templates and a number 2 pencil outlined onto the fabric were eyeballed cut out to the quarter inch seam allowance with a large pair of sewing sissors! Oh yes!! That was how it was done.

I think you are so smart to learn new habits. You go girl and happy quilting!
Old 06-14-2013, 06:55 AM

I hear you - after making several quilts I'm not thrilled with - I've learned to square and just take my time - that patience thing! Good luck in making new "good" habits!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 AM

To avoid thread nests on back of piecing check out WWW.quiltville.com. This is Bonnie Hunter's site and under her Tips and Techniques she explains using leaders and enders. This method gives you half of a four patch block.

mltquilt
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by StephT View Post
Another bad habit. I never pay attention to where the starting thread is. So it usually ends up being a jumbled mess at the start of my fabric. I am working on trying to remember to straighten out the threads
The easiest way to fix this problem is to sew onto a scrap of fabric when you finish with a seam, then sew from the scrap to your next piece. It's like chain piecing, but the scrap is the last piece. Many people do this. I think it saves time because I don't have to mess with finding the loose ends, worry about tangles or trimming loose threads and I think I use less thread because I'm only sewing a couple inches rather than pulling thread to the thread cutter on my machine. I've heard several terms for them. I used to call them leaders, but now I call them headers and footers (like the word processing terms, because they are at the start and finish of the seams).
Old 06-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I use to sew fast, zipping through chain piecing and kept wondering why my blocks never were true square, always some edges short or longer. I learned to sew slow, feeling and eyeing the fabric edges as I go. It has made a big difference. If the edges of my blocks or strips are out by 1/16th I know something is not right. I find the problem and correct it. A few time doing this and I know what to watch for and prevent. It may take longer but once done, my quilt top goes together perfectly. Having every seam match and laying flat is a good feeling of accomplishment for me.
I found a nifty little thread helper. A command strip on the machine bed will hold the thread tails out of the way when you start to sew.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 06-14-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:22 AM

My bad habit is not being able to keep blocks lovely and flat when tranort ing to class.
A shaky hand which spills coffee onto fabric.
Not panicking when seams etc don't match.
I love learning a technique or doing a difficult pattern
Trying to go slower because quilting is so expensive at at least 1 quilt a week.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 AM

I have some of those same habits and am very impatient. I want it done when I start.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 AM

I have a problem when things start to go wrong I get so frustrated I start I start making all kinds of mistakes and I just want to throw it all away. I have been sewing for to many years to count and I am setting here now trying to cool down after making the stupidest mistake on the most simple little girls dress. When I get myself calmed down it is a take it apart and redo. I had my mind on the quilt I want to start when I finish some dresses I am making for my DGD's birthday next weekend.