Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hope I haven't messed up with this! >

I hope I haven't messed up with this!

I hope I haven't messed up with this!

Old 05-15-2015, 07:58 AM

I did a beautiful sampler quilt called Patriots in Petticoats. Some blocks used 1/8th pieces and I have vowed to switch out the blocks if I ever come across that again in a quilt. It was a pain!!
Old 05-15-2015, 01:30 PM

I am on block 35 and was rounding off to the blocks. Have had to do blocks over to get the correct size. Wor ks on Hot and trimming down but on squares I have learned to cut to actual size. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:13 PM

I received Barbara Brackman's Civil War Sampler 50 Quilt Blocks with stories from history. I made 42 of the blocks from this book with great success. Is this the book you are referring to?
Old 05-16-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by My time View Post
I received Barbara Brackman's Civil War Sampler 50 Quilt Blocks with stories from history. I made 42 of the blocks from this book with great success. Is this the book you are referring to?
Yes! That's the book. Did you cut the pieces by the exact measurements (ie, 3 7/8") or cut larger and then trim them down? Also, on page 6 and 7, what are they trying to show me? How to cut the initial square? Then follow each individual block directions? I am confused by these directions. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I love these blocks. I'm just a civil war nut anyway! Thanks for replying!!
Old 05-16-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by My time View Post
I'm so excited to find someone who has made these!!! lol!! clappy hands!
Old 05-16-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I did a beautiful sampler quilt called Patriots in Petticoats. Some blocks used 1/8th pieces and I have vowed to switch out the blocks if I ever come across that again in a quilt. It was a pain!!
Are you referring to the measurement of a block using an 1/8th increment? Or do you mean the actual size was 1/8th? Yikes! yep, that would be a pain! just wondering what exactly you are referring to. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
For HST I do as others do and measure up and trim. I think we are missing the point here however with her question as while there may be some HST in the quilt there are other blocks that use the 1/8" increment measurement. Personally I have not made blocks using 1/8" increment measurements other than I frequently use 3/8" seam allowance on my bindings because that is the width of my presser foot. Typically, quilting and patterns don't use 1/8" increments.

If I were doing this quilt I would more than likely follow the pattern and tediously cut out the pieces as the pattern maker has directed. She probably did this for a reason that isn't readily apparent to all of us. I think if you don't, you will more than likely run into fitting blocks together problems far greater than the aggravation of measuring 1/8". I would mark my ruler with a thin strip of painters tape so I could readily find my measurement especially if a particular measurement was used frequently. It shouldn't be that much more difficult to cut something 3 7/8" than 4 if your lines are clear when measuring. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Think of how much you are going to cherish the quilt when it's done.
i tend to agree with you about cutting to the exact measurement. I don't know that if you round up and then trim down you will match the other piece's measurement. Does that make sense? Hard to describe what I mean. I think I will cut to her measurements in order to be more accurate with the piecing. Thanks so much to all who have offered expert advice and opinions as well. I do love this board!! Answers ALL my questions. Love you guys!