Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I know this a really dumb question, but I've not used my machine yet >

I know this a really dumb question, but I've not used my machine yet

I know this a really dumb question, but I've not used my machine yet

Old 03-19-2016, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by riana View Post
Do not use cone thread in your quilts. They are not only linty, but the fibers are very short and break easily, making your quilt very un-sturdy. Use regular cotton or poly thread. I use beige in the top and gray in the bobbin (or vice versa) so if there's a problem with tension I know which one to adjust.
Actually, Aurifil puts quite lovely thread on its cones; they are very low lint and use Egyptian extra-long staple mercerized cotton (the same as their small 200m spools) and arrive in plastic wrapping to ensure they are as close to lint free as possible. To reduce lint in my home I cover them up when not in use. I store my thread in plastic jars & cover with a Ziplock bag in between sewing sessions on my machine. I don't really have any problem with lint.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:04 PM

What do you consider a reqgular size quilt? Do you plan to do dense quilting or minimal quilting?

5,000 yards of thread will probably get you through a minimum of 3 twin - full quilts at a medium density. That estimate includes bobbin thread.

Have fun, and if this is your first attempt, don't be discouraged. One of my first quilts was made of strips of my mothers scraps. I quilted it on my HQ16/frame - had to take all the quilting out AND 'un-sew' every seam in the quilt. That was 25 seams at 40", plus borders. So, I learned to sew straight seams the first time or pay the consequences, rip out quilting, and remake the quilt. It was worth it to me because the scraps came from my mothers stash and it made me feel close to her after she passed.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:59 PM

You sound just like me, putting off having a go at your new machine. You only need small samples to have a go on while you get the thread for the quilt. Use the thread you have.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:42 AM

It is unreal the thread I have in my house Maderia for my embroidery machine...Poly and then I have bunches of cones for serger. Maxi-Lock
Old 03-20-2016, 02:46 AM

I am suppose to get it this. Crown Jewel with pearl stand
Old 03-20-2016, 03:12 AM

I buy most of my basic color thread on cones because it is economical. I most often use Superior or Aurifil. I also use a lot of Precencia thread. I buy various weights as I like 50 for piecing and 40 or sometimes 30 for quilting. Please do not use thread made for sergers for piecing because it has less twist and is therefore less strong. It is made to be used with several threads which give combined strength and coverage and is special use thread.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I think many people are confused because the only cone thread sold by the big box fabric stores is serger thread, so make the assumption cone thread = serger thread.
All thread is available on large cones, just not at Joann's!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by grannyjoanne View Post
I am suppose to get it this. Crown Jewel with pearl stand
There are many brands of thread that will work.

My favorite is Aurifil 50wt. 1 cone (5000m) is more than enough. Maybe try a 1300m spool instead unless you overquilt.

Note: I'm assuming that "regular" means Twin quilt (175x225cm). I know that's the case in Spanish, but I only know 3 languages so perhaps it means something else in another language.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by riana View Post
Do not use cone thread in your quilts. They are not only linty, but the fibers are very short and break easily, making your quilt very un-sturdy. Use regular cotton or poly thread. I use beige in the top and gray in the bobbin (or vice versa) so if there's a problem with tension I know which one to adjust.
I have been using Aurifil cones on my Janome 8900 for a quite a few years and I have very little lint. I also use the cones for my bobbin thread. Any cotton thread is going to create some lint, simply because of the cotton fibers.

One of my LQS stores invited the Aurifil people to come speak at their store. They showed a video of how they make their thread and they actually heat trim their thread and it removes most of the loose threads and ends created by the thread making process.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm sorry, but I find this statement to be too sweeping of a generalization. All cone threads are not the same. Superior Threads produces many high-quality threads, and most of them are available on cones. They are designed with quilters in mind. I'm sure there are other companies out there that make quality cone threads for quilting, I'm just not as familiar with them because I love Superior threads.
I think this referred back to the lady saying she had purchased some cone thread and instantly several people took this to mean serger thread. I did not think that--I know I have cones of Aurifil cotton quilting thread. Can't see how much thread is on the cone but it goes along ways.