Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
i made a mistake. >

i made a mistake.

i made a mistake.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:55 PM

Aileen, it's a beautiful quilt. We always see the imperfections in our work that non-quilters don't notice. If your grand mother is/was a quilter then she might notice, but if she wasn't a quilter if you don't point out the quilts short comings to her, she will probably never notice them. All she will see is the love and hard work you put into making her a treasure. I would go ahead and finish quilting the quilt, and then if there is time, make changes to the corner that is bothering you.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
I say put it on your bed. Can you see the border on the right and the border on the left at the same time? If not, nobody but you is going to know there's a mistake. If that's the case, I'd leave it alone!
That's not a bad answer. I put the less perfect quilt blocks on the sides for the same reason.

I agree it would help to see a picture.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:43 PM

I don't see anything so bad when I look at the picture.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

I'll bet anyone that would point a finger does not hand quilt. I would be grateful if someone would hand quilt something for me. No matter what they did it would be fantastic. I say leave it.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:19 AM

Well, I looked at it and I still can't see the error, front or back. Looks beautiful to me.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:23 AM

The area you are referring to is not at all noticeable on the front, and only slightly noticeable on the back. If I weren't looking for it, I know I would not have seen it. I think your quilting is lovely! What I am wondering about is if there are some missed stitches showing on the back view in the second cable down from the corner (near the center).
Old 12-02-2013, 04:59 AM

the cable wasn't finished - there was a row or two missing

thanks for your kind words. i feel a lot better about the whole thing this morning.

aileen
Old 12-02-2013, 05:18 AM

Your quilt is beautiful and whether or not you take some of it out to correct the error should be determined by how you will feel about it after the gift is given-every time you see it. I think you have undertaken a wonderful thing to do for your grandmother. All of us who are grandmothers are very touched that you would undertake such a project for your grandmother. But remember that learning to quilt is a journey. Please do not be discouraged about your journey. Whether you decide to spend five or six hours changing it should not be a game changing road block in your journey. In my journey I have made lots of 'errors' (mostly that I wish I had chosen a different fabric for some or element or that I wish I had chosen a different stitching pattern to quilt) but I move on. I love to quilt and I want to grow so I keep quilting. I see lots of progress so I will keep going-I generally don't make the same error twice-I find a new one to make!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
Well, I looked at it and I still can't see the error, front or back. Looks beautiful to me.
I'm with grann on this one. I can't see an error either. Your stitching is wonderful. I see no need to rip out anything. Keep going. It will be wonderful. Your grandmother will be delighted.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
please qb, tell me the jammed up cable in one corner of a hand quilted border will not be too noticeable.

i just kept quilting and found myself closer to the corner than i thought i was, leaving myself NO room to adjust the lengths of the cable. now i have a corner with two squished cable sections.

there's a rule in my house - no removing handquilting ever. and to fix this i'd have to take out at least 3 sections.

just tell me it's fine. my perfectionist is having a meltdown.

aileen
It will be FINE…Just remind yourself that:

1) There are NO MISTAKES, just creative changes

and

2) Only GOD can create perfection

Enjoy your beautiful work…...