Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I WAS making son a Bargello, but he wants a San Diego Charger Quilt >

I WAS making son a Bargello, but he wants a San Diego Charger Quilt

I WAS making son a Bargello, but he wants a San Diego Charger Quilt

Old 09-02-2014, 04:39 PM

Default I WAS making son a Bargello, but he wants a San Diego Charger Quilt

And - can I find a quilt pattern that is good for a football quilt- NO. I'd like to make a large star (not block of stars) with a center square where I could fussie cut out of the Chargers NFL fabric for center. I have been searching for 3 hrs on the internet. Do any of you have any ideas. Think I'll just keep the Bargello for myself.

I initially thought I could buy a flag or banner using that for the center and working around that. But they are all made out of polyester or vinyl- so that's out. I've searched the Team shop etc. - NaDa. There is really only one fabric - NFL Team Fabric either in cotton or flannel - for the Chargers.

The only thing I can think to do is just cut random blocks and sash, and maybe do patch blocks for a variety. That would be really ordinary, but I'm an ordinary quilter. The Bargello really took me out of my comfort zone. LOL
So wonderful quilters here, do you have any ideas for me? Oh, and I've never made triangles etc. but I know a star block would require that. If I can find one, I'll just buy a lot of extra fabric to cover errors.

Thanks you.. Marcia
Old 09-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Bear Paw quilt shop (online) carries lots of licensed sports fabrics, you can probably find some {Chargers} fabrics there, that you could possibly cut up/use for appliques, or even create borders to frame
Old 09-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

Hi Marsh. I am just north of San Diego and I have seen square pillow that you could use. I would search on Google to see what fabric is out there with the San Diego Charger brand printed on the fabric. You might do an advance search on sports quilt and see if any interesting inspiring quilts are found. I will check at our Wednesday sewing group if there is any SD Charger fabric.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

When I Googled San Diego Chargers quilt images, this is all I came up with:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/177470041539568708/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/42362052714748928/
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...lap-quilt.html
Old 09-02-2014, 05:20 PM

Copy your flag/vinyl/whatever on your computer to a sheet of photo transfer cloth...cheap, easy, and you get what you want....
Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 PM

Since I'm a Seattle Seahawk's fan, this is how I did one for a friend's grandson, who is a young fan. The block, called Christmas Star, I used is from "The Quilt Life" magazine. The quilting on the sides is footballs, helmets in each block, and the Seahawk's logo on the top and bottom border. You can pretty much adapt any block that you like to use team fabric.
Attached Thumbnails seahawk-mania.jpg   seahawk-block.jpg   seahawk-logo-block.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

Jillmc posted a really cute football quilt with pieced footballs on it. They also provided a link or source for the pattern. You could add the team fabric in the sashing? It was under the title. Touchdown! go Buckeyes

Last edited by Tartan; 09-02-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:11 PM

Hi Marcia! I have been wondering how your Bargello was coming. Keeping it for yourself is a good idea....since your son has a new quilt in mind.

I made a Carpenter's Star ... http://www.quiltfrog.com/fourhour.html ....that was pretty easy. It has a center that could be made out of one fabric, like you are describing. That is if you can find fabric that you like for it. Take a look, in case it happens to be what you are looking for. It does have half square triangles, but they are big and the quilt goes together rather quickly.

Maybe I can find a picture of mine....might help too. Yup, though you would want to change the center. Look at the pattern, and I think you will find it is pretty do-able. (Ignore my quilt inspector Hot Rod and his mouse toy. I couldn't keep him out of the picture. I kept throwing that mouse to distract him, and he always came back...)

You are a good Mom, you know.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001519.jpg  

Last edited by Dina; 09-02-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:22 PM

Maybe something like this: http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/...ilt-block.html

Edited to add: A chevron quilt could replicate the look of the electric bolt--maybe even just a chevron border on whatever quilt you choose to make.

Last edited by AngeliaNR; 09-02-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:37 AM
JT

Google touchdown quilt pattern. It's available as a download or in quilt shops. It could work nice around whatever center section you made. Footballs!!!