Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: I may be a lost cause

That's great advice on straight line stitching. Thanks for sharing.

I pretend that my stitches are a bug running around and it makes pretty good looking fmq.lol It gets easier as you go.
    Sewbeadit
    Montesano, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by meldmac View Post
    So I've given fmq a try and I can't seem to get it right at all. I even tried using a stencil and following the lines with my fmq foot and it went horribly. Just can't seem to get the hang of it. Only tried it for a short time , but I think I may stick to straight line quilting. Is it something that gets easier? Or is it one of those skills that you either have it or you don't?
    I have to agree. My love is handquilting, but with all the nieces having children, grandchildren, friends childrens, I can't Handquilt that fast nor want to. So I bought the FMQ feet to fit my too machines for the kids quilts. I have tried and tried to just get the da gone tensions right. I give up. So I only use the foot which has feed dogs to move the top along with the feed dogs on the bottom. Maybe one day when I have no more kids to quilt for I will try again. Until then it will be only the straight foot, but I can still do curves with it and make it look semi fmq. lol

Blog Entries

Do NOT - I repeat: DO NOT GIVE UP!!

I didn't start to try FMQ until I was 69 years old. Get this book: Machine Quilting - A Primer of Techniques by Sue Nickels ISBN 1 5742 830 1 Soft cover, very reasonably priced. Available lots of places but I got mine at Amazon.com. Read and follow her instructions and actually make a sampler. A picture of my very first FMQ project is attached. I fell in love with FMQ'ing and wouldn't even think of getting a mid or long arm machine. I do 120 x 120 king size quilts on my small machines. There is a learning curve but isn't at all that bad if you will take the time to go through the book and follow her step by step instructions. I shared this information with the gals in my quilt guild and they do awesome work. Good Luck and don't give up!! It is SO FUN it should be illegal!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh Brenwalt, that quilt is beautiful and so inspiring!! I will look for that book. :-)
    Laura

I started FMQ about a year ago. Being on a fixed retirement budget I could not afford to quilt by checkbook. I find that most of the time it is relaxing for me. I did discover that I had to learn how to set my top and bottom tension according to the thread and it became much easier and more fun. I watch Leah Day every chance I get and have gotten some nice ideas to practice on by watching tutorials on e subject. I admit, it has taken me almost the full year to build my self confidence but I find I am now getting compliments on my work. Don't force it, listen to some music while practicing. I have a friend who listens to audio books while fmq'ing. Good luck, I hope you learn to enjoy it.

To ShirlinAZ....you might try some children's size gardening gloves. I bought some once for my GD and they were quite nice. I think they might work for you.

Jan
    I love your posts and I always learn something. Thank you for today's hints and illustrations! I too am practicing and always learning.

Blog Entries
    I am still at the practice, practice, practice level...but my biggest problem in FMQ was that I would not take a breath. I almost turned blue in the face before I would stop and breathe. I was so concentrated on where the FM was going, I couldn't take a breath. So now I am learning to breathe while I do it. Has anyone else had the "take a breath problem?"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5