Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need advice about removing an oil stain

If you aren't going to wash it right away, sprinkle some baby powder on the stain. The talc keeps the oil from locking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    When I see Dawn I think of my mother in law and chuckle. For years, when she'd come for a visit during the holidays, we'd go grocery shopping together. Every single time we'd walk down the aisle that had the dish detergents, she'd tell me to buy Dawn because that's what they use to wash the ducks after an oil spill. Every. Single. Time. For YEARS. Finally one day I got tired of it and told her I wasn't going to buy any Dawn because I don't plan on giving any ducks a bath anytime soon. Her mouth snapped shut so fast, you could actually hear it. Now it's become a family joke - we're out of dish soap, can't be bathing ducks now!
    ROFL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    If you aren't going to wash it right away, sprinkle some baby powder on the stain. The talc keeps the oil from locking in.
    I am going to do this RIGHT NOW. Thank you for this tip!

Alison

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    For oil based stains I use dawn dishwashing liquid... it has had the best results for me .. Just spot clean it with the liquid.
    I would also try the Dawn. Might try wetting a cotton tipped swab then dabbing it in the Dawn dish soap to dilute it a little before swiping the oil spot. Paper towel or cotton ball to blot up the soap, then water dampened towel or cotton ball to make sure all soap is gone.

Blog Entries
    Try dawn dishwashing liquid.
    Judy

If you don't have baby powder, corn starch (that you use in the kitchen) works just as well.

I've also used corn starch. It will absorb the oil.

I see Pam already beat me to this suggestion. That's what I get for not reading the whole thread before posting.
    Last edited by quiltsRfun; 11-11-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Dawn dish soap - there is absolutely NOTHING better for getting greasy oily stuff out of anything!! And yes, if it can cut the oil on the ducks from the Exxon Valdez oil spill, then it can handle a little bit of sewing machine oil
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Carbona Stain Devils

I've never found any better stain removal products than the Carbona Stain Devils; they're individually formulated for specific stain types. The Grease and Oil one does a remarkable job, as does the one for blood stains. I get them at my local grocery, and Joann's carries the Carbona multi-purpose stain product, which also works very well. Not to keep touting, but Carbona makes an excellent color catcher product, too!
    Last edited by smanry; 11-11-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: link repair

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2