Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need all the help i can get!! >

I need all the help i can get!!

I need all the help i can get!!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 AM

The book I would recommend is Quilter's Academy by Harriet Hargrave. This will be a series of 6 books - book 5 will come out in 2014. Book 1 will go through the washing, not washing, cutting, accurate seams and gives about directions for quilts and suggestions for quilting them. Good luck!!
Old 09-29-2013, 12:12 PM

Hello, and welcome from Texas. You've come to the right place to learn everything about quilting. There are more than 87,000 members and growing daily, and everyone is friendly and helpful. I can't add anything to what's been said except to say that you'll want to read quite a bit about equipment before you invest in a whole lot of gadgets. You definitely need a rotary cutter that automatically covers the blade when you let go, so you don't have to worry about dropping it on your feet. You need a good cutting mat, but it doesn't have to be any bigger than your arm can comfortably reach. I like to cover the undersides of my acrylic rulers with a coat of rubber cement, which helps a lot to keep them from slipping. For a work table that isn't a comfortable height, one of the best tips I found was to put bed risers under the legs.

Look for tips about thread and needles, and about batting for different uses. When I first started I bought a lot of stuff I regretted later, and I think this board is one of the best resources for avoiding that kind of mistake.

If you are interested in scrappy quilts, Bonnie Hunter's quiltville.com is a great site. There are lots of free patterns. If you watch some of her quiltcam videos you will surely be inspired. Whether you'll be doing scrappies or not, her suggestions about using leaders and enders will help you get the most out of your quilt making.

Here's a website that should help you find a guild near you: http://www.quiltguilds.com/

Most of all, have fun!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:35 PM

Welcome from British Columbia Canada. Start with a lap quilt and if you live to far from a LQS then Eleanor Burns is your go to instructor. She is the queen of strip quilting. Just look for a beginners quilt and you should be good to go.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:32 AM

If I could recommend a single book, I'd recommend the Better Homes and Gardens loose leaf book, The Compete Guide to Quilting. It covers everything you need to know and is a ready reference.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:18 PM

Hi Bonnie, welcome to the board from NE Ohio.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM

Welcome to the website, Eleanor Burns also has a book for beginning quilters that takes you step by step. Start simple, like a nine patch quilt, especially if you have a "stash" of pieces like most of us do. Anytime you need help just chime in here and we are always willing to help.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ireland.