Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need applique help....fast! >

I need applique help....fast!

I need applique help....fast!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM

Default I need applique help....fast!

I have two quilts with raw edge applique in the middle. I just washed the first one, thinking it was done and ready to go. As I pulled it out of the washer I found that the applique had frayed and pulled loose in several places and wasn't "stuck" at all. The only thing keeping the rest of it on the quilt is the blanket stitching around the edges. After calling it many nasty words and then calming down to think for a few, I threw it in the dryer knowing there was nothing I could do with it wet. Now I have to figure out what went wrong and what to do with the other top that is ready to sandwich and quilt....I do not want a repeat performance! Any suggestions? I used Steam a Seam Lite and followed the directions to the letter, even prewashing the fabric and ironing with no starch to ensure a good stick. I know I will have to replace the bad pieces because of fraying, so I have my afternoon date with the seam ripper. Thanks in advance for your help.

Rose
Old 12-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

call the help line at the company and ask their advice.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:02 AM

Yikes, sorry for what has happened. I've no words of wisdom. I use Steam a Seam Lite but I always blanket stitch around the piece. I am probably very wrong, but I thought that this stuff was supposed to be stitched around and you only used straight fusible if it was not going to be washed. Again, this is just my thoughts and I'm probably wrong. Good luck.

Suzy
Old 12-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

I agree that Steam a Seam Lite was designed with the expectation that the applique would also be sewn in place. Regular Steam a Seam does not need the sewing and will stay stuck without it. This is the trade-off for the Lite. You get a softer applique than with regular SAS, but the applique needs to be sewn down to be permanent.

For raw edge, you can just straight stitch inside the edge of each applique if you don't want to do blanket stitching.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

I like batiks if I am going to do raw edge applique because they fray very little. To fix the edge now will be harder . Can you turn them into stain glass applique with the 1/4 binding on the edges? Since they are already quilted, I don't think you could do a small satin stitch edge. I've never used Steam A Seam light so maybe someone else will have some helpful hints. Bummer!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:56 PM

I did use a blanket stitch around the edges, with the long stitching on the outside edge and the short stitches going from outside edge to the inside. I believed that it would be enough. When I was taking it apart for repair, the frayed pieces that I took off weren't stuck at all to the fabric base and the pieces of fusible were loose and falling apart. I put on new pieces using a different fusible and then used a blanket stitch again, only turning it so the long stitches were inside the edge of the applique pieces. I am just very annoyed with the results of the fusible and wondered if anyone had similar issues or if I had done something wrong.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

the fusables which are made to be stitched down- also wash away- that's why you don't wind up with a stiff quilt after using them...sorry for your problems-
a satin stitch- or tight zigzag is a better choice for fusable applique- blanket stitching is good for wools- primatives- items that don't get washed often. if you want to use a blanket stitch a very small (close together) one is best.
when you replace your ruined piece try a zigzag- or satin stitch you will be much happier with your results.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
the fusables which are made to be stitched down- also wash away- that's why you don't wind up with a stiff quilt after using them...sorry for your problems-
a satin stitch- or tight zigzag is a better choice for fusable applique- blanket stitching is good for wools- primatives- items that don't get washed often. if you want to use a blanket stitch a very small (close together) one is best.
when you replace your ruined piece try a zigzag- or satin stitch you will be much happier with your results.

there is the info I needed....I never knew that the fusibles were designed to wash away or I would have used a different stitch.....I so wish that I had that info before starting the applique.....I will add a straight stitch just inside the edge on the second quilt and all future projects will be satin stitched or zigzagged! Thank you so much!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

On the Warm Company web site (the makers of Steam-a-seam) it says (referring to the Lite product)
* Bond is strong and permanent
* Machine wash and dry or dry-clean; we do not recommend drying with a dryer sheet
* Leave edges unfinished; will not fray or lift

So apparently something went wrong in your particular situation. Perhaps the product was defective. I agree with the other person who said to call the Warm Company and ask them. Your project should have come out okay.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:44 PM

So sorry that this happened to you, but thanks for posting it. I'll be very careful with it in the future because of your post. Hope you can make it right without too much more aggravation.