Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need an easy block idea- 3 fabrics

I want to make my grandmother a lap quilt. I have found fabrics that I forgot about in my stash. She loves birds, so when I was digging around and ran across hummingbird fabric I knew it was for her. It's really pretty it has humming birds all over with plenty of flowers. I have pink and blue fabric to go with it.
    I don't want to do an attic window, last time it didn't turn out so well. I am not ready for that again.
    I would just like some simple block ideas.
    thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Rail fence would be very pretty, and it would work up quickly and easily.

My choices for something simple that will show off a fabric are usually a rail fence, D9P, or Irish chain.

Lynette

snowball is always good. you can put the hummingbirds in the center and use the blues and pinks in the corners.

I like the snowball also because it gives you a large piece of your print in the middle, rail fence would be nice also

Quote Originally Posted by lyndawn
    My choices for something simple that will show off a fabric are usually a rail fence, D9P, or Irish chain.

Lynette
    The rail fence would cut up the bird fabric, but how about something that reminds me of the rail fence -- Warm Wishes. It's been a while since it was recommended on the QB. I found it online. It uses a block of 3 strips and a feature block. You could use the blue and pink in the strips and the bird fabric for the feature fabric. The strips could be alternated by doing some blocks blue-pink-blue and some pink-blue-pink. The D9P would also be great. I haven't done the Irish Chain yet, so I can't speak of it's difficulty.

Blog Entries
    First thing I thought of was Warm wishes, that way you have the focus fabric and work around it ! Let us know what you decide :lol:

How about Contrary Husband?

The secondary pattern formed is pinwheels.

How about friendship star or Austin from quilter's cache. Any of the stars like Austin would look great. I love the disappearing nine patch too.

Power Poster
    Churn Dash or the good old basic nine patch

or an uneven nine patch - has a large square in the middle and smaller pieces around it - small squares in the corners and rectangles on the middle edges

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast