Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I need help finishing Star Spin table cover

I need help finishing Star Spin table cover

I worked through Roolen's tutorial on doing the Star Spin but am having a problem figuring out how to finish it. I have attached a pic of where I sewed the small corner triangle to one of the larger triangles, but I am now confused - is the binding going to just follow the angle where the two meet? I mean, I know I will have to do a slightly different "turn" there but will the binding cover that ear or should I have stopped earlier and then cut that off? Is this question clear as mud??? See, you will be as confused as I am! Hoping someone can make sense of my gibberish and help me out! Thanks in advance - Pam
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interesting....I never noticed this before! I put the top together in the spring and never completed the project. A number of people have done this so I'll be interested in how this turn is completed too.

Blog Entries
    The one I have seen have the batting and backing sewn to the top and then just turned inside out and then quilted. (Sorry I don't know how to explain it better, I think some people call it birthing a quilt) I haven't seen one with binding, but I suppose you could do it, there are some great tutorial on the web if you search for binding odd angles http://www.quilt-video.com/2010/02/0...ng-odd-angles/
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    The one I have seen have the batting and backing sewn to the top and then just turned inside out and then quilted. (Sorry I don't know how to explain it better, I think some people call it birthing a quilt) I haven't seen one with binding, but I suppose you could do it, there are some great tutorial on the web if you search for binding odd angles http://www.quilt-video.com/2010/02/0...ng-odd-angles/
    DH and I have been making one today in Christmas fabrics , its all laid out on the design board but we needed a break because it is mind boggling LOL. I was going to bind it it but now I think i will do the inside out method. Thanks :-)

Blog Entries
    Doing the binding at that angle is the pits.

I birthed the one I made like woody explained.

Birthing! I didn't think that was the answer!!! I know I saw a youtube video that had a great showing of angle binding
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vci9-...eature=channel
    and thought I would try that. Now I need to re-think that since birthing seems to be the preferred method. Hmmmm................

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Excellent video...Thanks for sharing
    FancyFoot

Looks like this member did binding on hers. Try searching on the forum here for other pictures to give you more of an idea of what they look like.
    Christmas table topper