Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: I need help with kitchen chair cushions

  1. #1
    milkbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    26
    I am a newbie at kitchen chair cushions, but I have agreed to make 4 of them for a friend. I took the pattern from one of her old ones and tried stuffing it with foam---which was a disaster (the closing of the opening was a nightmare) so I am stuffing it with polyester filling, closure with a small seam, and sewing 4 buttons to hold the filling in place. Now, my question......how much filling do I put in??? Right now I have a nice amount in---it isn't hard or anything----but it is "cushiony". Is that enough??? Will it flatten as it is used??? It looks nice but not as "firm" as her old, used cushion. Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Super Member M.I.Late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,321
    I have redone my chairs several times. I usually use a piece of foam rubber. The thickness is entirely your choice. You don't stuff the foam in - you build the fabric around it. If these are to be removable, you cut the foam to the chair size, cut the fabric bigger (enough to accomodate the foam rubber.) I top the foam with a piece of batting and then make the cover from there. There are probably several tuts if you just query making chair cushions... Hope this helps. Polyester filling will certainly break down, lump and move...

    p.s. I get mine at Hobby Lobby because Joanns is way more expensive and Hobby Lobby has 40% off coupons regularly. Joanns does too, but theirs is twice the price of Hobby Lobby already.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,707
    Blog Entries
    7
    Her old ones were probably cushiony when she first got them. It will most likely flatten some over time or with much use. I would ask her if she wants firmer or cush.
    I hope this helps.
    I have redone my chairs, but that was more a recover & new thicker foam, not a tie on ( I'm assuming ) type.

  4. #4
    milkbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by LAB55
    Her old ones were probably cushiony when she first got them. It will most likely flatten some over time or with much use. I would ask her if she wants firmer or cush.
    I hope this helps.
    I have redone my chairs, but that was more a recover & new thicker foam, not a tie on ( I'm assuming ) type.
    Yep, it is a tie on type. I think I need to make them firmer so I will put more in. I am just afraid they will really flatten out with use and not look as good.

  5. #5
    Senior Member cmw0829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    953
    You're a really good friend.

    I bet right now you wish you weren't. :cry:

  6. #6
    milkbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829
    You're a really good friend.

    I bet right now you wish you weren't. :cry:
    Sometimes, yes and sometimes, no-----right now I am looking at this as a learning experience. I just hate to rip out seams and add more stuffing but I know that is what I need to do. At least the weather is cooperating.....it is so icy around here that I don't even want to venture outside.....

  7. #7
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,282
    Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    I have redone my chairs several times. I usually use a piece of foam rubber. The thickness is entirely your choice. You don't stuff the foam in - you build the fabric around it. If these are to be removable, you cut the foam to the chair size, cut the fabric bigger (enough to accomodate the foam rubber.) I top the foam with a piece of batting and then make the cover from there. There are probably several tuts if you just query making chair cushions... Hope this helps. Polyester filling will certainly break down, lump and move...

    p.s. I get mine at Hobby Lobby because Joanns is way more expensive and Hobby Lobby has 40% off coupons regularly. Joanns does too, but theirs is twice the price of Hobby Lobby already.
    This is also how I've made them(even though it's been awhile). I need to make some for my DM & this is how we'll be doing it! I'd suggest using the foam and covering with batting because your filling you're trying to use now WON'T withstand constant use. I'm sure you don't want to remake another set any time soon for your friend.

  8. #8
    Super Member AliKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,660
    I, too, always have used the foam. I cut it with a serated edge carving knife. Used to use an electric knife til it died. I made the covers first them rolled the foam and put it inside the cover where I had left an opening in the back seam. The results were great!

    ali

  9. #9
    Super Member M.I.Late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,321
    And milkbone since they are tie on, you can always leave the underside open and make them like a pillow sham with a "fold over" type opening. That way she can wash them often and they would be really easy to do. Especially if she doesn't need a ruffle.

  10. #10
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,744
    that is so nice of you to do why not ask her how much stuffing she would like

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.