Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need Help >

I need Help

I need Help

Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 AM

About a year go I came to this board as a "sorta" quilter. There are many of you out there. You know the ones that start projects and then the ADD kicks in and you leave the project sit for a while before you come back to it. I had no real drive. In the two years I've been quilting, I'd only finished two quilts and one of them was actually finished by one of you.
Then last month I lost my father. He'd seen some of the things I'd been working but he'd never seen an actual finished project. I had started a quilt for him for father's day and had one of the ladies from my church finish it. It now sits at my aunt's house until I have kids.
My dad was a clothing whore and his favorite accessories were ties. I want to make a quilt of them in his memory but don't have an idea as to where to start. If anyone has any ideas as to what kind of blocks or quilt formation they would greatly welcomed. Thank you soo much in advance.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 AM

Go to the search function at the top and type in "tie quilts" and see what shows up. I know there have been several shown in the last year or so. I have also seen at least one book. Go to Amazon and search for tie quilts.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:39 AM

How about this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5176400_make...-neckties.html

so sorry to hear of your loss. i looked at a couple of site. quiltbug.com has some cute ideas. one that caught my idea was a dresdon plate design. also marsha cohn -quilterscache.com has a lot of block patterns that may be useful. if i see any more i will let you know! last year i decided to make my dear uncle a quilt since he was in a nursing home. didn't get the quilt made and unfortunately he passed away the day before i had made plans to see him. always regretted not going the day before:( couldn't bring myself to finish the quilt. just reminds me of him too much i guess. but i did make a flannel rag quilt and donated it in his memory to the nursing home. now i am working on a shoulder "quilt" to donate.

Another good link:

http://rhinoquilting.com/bereavement...nt-tie-quilts/
Old 07-20-2011, 06:25 AM

So sorry to hear about your loss.

The first idea that came to my mind was also a Dresden plate variation using the ties as they are. I'd say that should best evoke memories of your father. But you could always unsew them at the back and use larger pieces. The material would of course also be great to use in a crazy patch.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:36 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my dad tooll I like Dresden plate or sew them all together and cut to size. Good luck°
Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 AM

Here are a couple of websites I have bookmarked. I wish I had kept my dad's ties.

http://crafts.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Neck_Tie_Quilt
http://www.daciaray.com/?p=110