Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help >

I need help

I need help

Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 PM

Default I need help

and I don't mean psychiatric help... my brain might be foggy, which is why I am posting.

I started a new hand applique project yesterday. It is a traditional basket with flowers on stems. I got the basket sewn down, and it looks pretty darn good, but, and this is a big but, I made a mistake and did not insert two stems on the top along side of the main stem going up.

Is there a way to get these in place without ripping out the already stitched top? Granted it is only about 18 inches, but if there is a way to get that fabric that is needed behind the basket and where it belongs...

I was thinking a small snip behind the stitching to slip the stems in... then a small piece of iron on something to keep it from raveling...

Please help. I am positive that this has had to happen to someone here.

Anita in Northfield, MN
Old 04-30-2012, 07:29 PM

I would lean toward the small snip and insert, but will watch the thread to see if others have a better suggestion.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 PM
QM
Power Poster

I have certainly done this. Yes, I snipped the threads, inserted the stems and reappliqued. It was not 18", more like 2", because I did the applique equivalent of backstitching to be sure th snipped seam was still solid. The idea is to snip the thread only once, then unsew as little as possible. Because I am far from perfect, I have become something of an expert on fixing my errors. I know several people who take the whole thing out and start over. I finish quilts, lots of quilts.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

Is it along the seam where the basket meets the upper handle part? If so I'd remove a couple of the stitches, put in the stem and resew the seam. If it is an applique basket that you hand stitched down, I'd remove a small section of the hand sewing. If it isn't somewhere you can remove the stitches than you could do what you've suggested. You could also add another leaf to the arrangement to hide the stem ends. Do what makes you happy, it's your design.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 PM

I agree with the other ladies. Snip, insert and resew. Do do happens.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks ladies! My SO, who engineers all sorts of stuff, said I had to either snip or put something over it. I guess I will have to take it out, or put another leaf or flower there.

I appreciate your help.

Anita in Northfield, MN