Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help! >

I need help!

I need help!

Old 11-02-2009, 02:47 AM

Momwood, your family will be blessed by the gift you are making. They will love it in any shape or form.
I agree with Tippy...when I buy fabric, I don't have just one side of material bought, I have two. And sometimes if I want a more muted color I use the reverse of the print or the back side of the fabric. So having the "wrong" side up will not even matter.
I wouldn't change what you have done from the original setting. Keep up the great work under difficult circumstances.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:55 AM

Leave it. Most old quilts have a mistake done on perpose so it was not perfect. You are flowing tradishtion(?)
Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 AM

I agree with the many who have chimed in, and applaud your daughter that she said to leave it to. But then, I know you are wanting this to be an extra special quilt, and don't want to feel discouraged in the final product, so I have 2 suggestions.

1- If the square in question, truly is in the center - what if you print a poem or pic to coordinate, then appllique it over that block?

2- Do an applique similar to these animals over your block:

http://www.ohfransson.com/photos/quilt_gallery/

No matter what you decide, it will be a family heirloom. And knowing your health history, it will probably become one of the most cherished part of the quilt as your daughter and grandchild look at it. "Mom could barely see, she felt really crummy alot, but look at the time and the workmanship she put into this most beautiful quilt. We know how much she loved us, and this quilt shows that love".

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Your new little Grandaughter will love her special quilt. It has been said that years ago >>>>>>>> a quilter deliberately made a mistake in her quilt, because she didn t want it perfect, becaue no one but God made anything perfect. SO I would leave it as it is., and finish it.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

I say leave it. I'm betting your the only one that will know it's there.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:06 AM

Picture this one :!: I am working on a quilt like everyone else here - someone writes in "I need help!" So I read it and I write down something profound about Muriel Humphrey and only God is perfect and send it hoping she will feel better about her quilt.

You got it! After all the checking - all the picking and choosing where each block was going to go, after sewing on the sashing, after hand quilting the whole thing - almost - I get to the last one - Good Grief! A mistake! I have been working on this quilt since July and never never noticed it. I had made the block out of some hst's and turned one lousy square! I can't take it apart, I can't do a darn thing except leave it there. I don't have anymore fabric to make a new hst and sew over, so what I did was write in my book to go with the quilt that "ONLY GOD IS PERFECT"!

I guess it is "practice what you preach, Edie, practice what you preach!" :oops: :oops: :oops:

And the baby will not notice it, he/she will be kept nice and warm and I can only hope that the mother does not quilt!!!!

See, it happens to all of us! Some we are able to catch - some we just don't! Edie
Old 11-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

like the painter Bob Ross used to say "there are only Happy Accidents", leave it in. :mrgreen: