Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help!! >

I need help!!

I need help!!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 PM

I asked earlier about a good signature block for our music minister who is getting married in the summer. Decided to go with the
"siggy block" suggestion. Cut signature squares 3 1/2" (Kona Cotton) and did not starch because of needing the signature on it. Cut the corner squares 2 1/2" (these I did starch because of the small size) and sewed on the 2 corners. I trimmed the back of the corners off. When done the block does not measure an exact 3 1/2". My question is: Do I cut the signature squares a little bigger or cut the whole block down when it is finished to a smaller size? Any other suggestions? I know a few of you have made these and wondered how you treated it.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:36 PM

What a great gift for the couple!!

Are you mixing in any other blocks?
If these are the only blocks, they all just need to be the same size-whatever size- so they will fit together. Then you can add borders to make it larger or to adjust it so it will match up with another set of blocks.
Here is one that I made:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-49147-1.htm
The siggy blocks are in the middle section and since there were not enough, I added borders and blocks to make a nice nap size.

And even though I drew out instructions on where to write....some people still wrote clear to the edge and didn't leave room for the seam. UGH! Make extra blocks just in case someone flubs up too! I had one teacher throw out 3 blocks and start over because she didn't like her handwriting.

It will be treasured whatever you decide!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:09 AM

about where and how they sign the blocks: I'm a custom picture framer and we get a lot of orders of "signature mats" from a wedding. Yes, people tend to sign alllllll the way to the edge (kids sign their art at the very bottom edge, too. It must be human nature.) Anyway, for the siggy blocks, try drawing a pencil line of what will be just inside the seam allowance AND displaying a block of the "ideal" signature. People will copy what they see.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 AM

I found the scant 1/4" worked best to get them to come out the right size. I drew the lines and sewed just outside the lines and trimmed them back as needed.