Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need help with Velcro!

I need help with Velcro!

Hi,

I'm trying to sew some darn velcro, but the thread keeps bunching up above my needle. Anyone have some good advice for sewing on velcro? Like needle size, what's the best thread or any other tricks? I would love to hear them.

Micha

Most velcro has a flat edge on each side. This is where the sewing should be. Use any good quality polyester thread. A zipper foot will help you sew along the edges.

Good advice, Terry (mytwopals). That's exactly what I do.

I need help with Velcro

Are you working with sticky back Velcro by chance?
    I've never done anything special when sewing Velcro except using a zig zag stitch.
    Rethread both bobbin and top thread before trying again.

Sounds to me like something could be stopping the thread from going through the tention and the needle eye keeps rubbing against the thread, then it frays, then breaks.

I had a little burr on the bottom of my spool of thread and "sometimes" it would get caught and snag the thread. I checked it a couple of times before I finally found it. I used my finger nail file and filed it down. Same thing with one of my metal feet. I guess the needle hit it made the burr, I filed that one down too.

Syl

Quote Originally Posted by Micha View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to sew some darn velcro, but the thread keeps bunching up above my needle. Anyone have some good advice for sewing on velcro? Like needle size, what's the best thread or any other tricks? I would love to hear them.

Micha
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-17-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: remove personal website from post
    Syl

When I have made doll clothes for my granddaughter, I keep lubricating my machine needle with vasoline and it really works! The needle this way slides through the fabric without getting stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by maryel View Post
    When I have made doll clothes for my granddaughter, I keep lubricating my machine needle with vasoline and it really works! The needle this way slides through the fabric without getting stuck.
    Good tip! I find sewing on the tiny pieces of velcro on doll clothes to be an adventure. It got so I am now gluing them down with a dab of non-washable glue. They seem to hold well.

I had one machine that was picky sewing on the hook side and ended up just putting paper on top to protect the thread and tearing it off when done.

Thanks for posting and all the tips, great subject. I have been sewing the velcro on the doll clothers by hand as I never could figure out how to use the machine. Now that I can no longer use my index finger (arthritis) it makes it hard to hand sew. I have to re-learn some sewing by machine.

If I need to sew velcro, I use my featherweight. It does the job!

Blog Entries
    Excellent Topic and Tips!!!! I have encountered the velcro problem myself, several times. I will be giving these tips a try the next time I have to sew on velcro. Thanks for sharing.
    Brenda

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast