Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I need ideas for a strawberry quilt! Help!!

Blog Entries

I need ideas for a strawberry quilt! Help!!

When my MIL's doctor visited her yesterday to see how she was doing, (Yes, a housecall) (Can you believe it?) the nurse told him I was a quilter and that was why there was fabric all over the place. hehehe! ( I was so embarrased) When he heard that, he told me that he wanted me to make a baby quilt for his 1 year old granddaughter, Scarlett. He said he wanted big strawberrys on it. I went to the computer and found a strawberry in the clip art section that I think will work for a pattern. I'm open for ideas on how to proceed. Anybody got any? I'm attaching a picture of the strawberry so you can see what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.

How about buying fabric with strawberries on it and fussy cutting them out and then hand or machine applique them to a pink and white quilt - any pattern you choose.

Blog Entries
    I always like "Snowballs" to feature special fabric or appliques. Then space them with a simple 9-patch maybe done with a small strawberry print and a solid. Simple, but really features the fabric an adorable applique strawberry. Just a suggestion. Will look forward to what you come up with. (and a housecall??, you mean they even sill do those?? (lol) special doctor!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    When my MIL's doctor visited her yesterday to see how she was doing, (Yes, a housecall) (Can you believe it?) the nurse told him I was a quilter and that was why there was fabric all over the place. hehehe! ( I was so embarrased) When he heard that, he told me that he wanted me to make a baby quilt for his 1 year old granddaughter, Scarlett. He said he wanted big strawberrys on it. I went to the computer and found a strawberry in the clip art section that I think will work for a pattern. I'm open for ideas on how to proceed. Anybody got any? I'm attaching a picture of the strawberry so you can see what you think.
    My avatar is my first grandbaby!! Brantley 10-2-12
    **QB Monthly Bee Block Swap Theme (5-27-14)*
    **NEW** Trees, Think Fantasy, Think Enchanted, Think fairys and woodland animals. Think brighter fabrics. (Nothing pale or muted.) **TREES** Any kind of block, pieced, embroidery, or applique, your choice.

I think that strawberry would make a wonderful quilt - very unique. I would piece together various red squares, cut out the strawberry shape, sew a background of your choice, cut out the green part and machine applique on the background. OR - I am sure someone could figure out a pattern in EQ for you. I have a pieced duck pattern (one large yellow duck) so this would be the same idea. Good luck. Post pictures when you have it finished.

I made my daughter a 'Strawberry Shortcake quilt" when she was 3 yrs old. She still has it.

Power Poster
    Your clip art picture is very nice. You could trace the shapes for machine or hand applique depending on your expertise. You could also look through your stash and find straberry fabric? If you had some, you could do something simple like Warm Wishes with the strawberry material in the big squares with green, red and white for the stripes. That is if it would not look too much like the Italian flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvie45 View Post
    I think that strawberry would make a wonderful quilt - very unique. I would piece together various red squares, cut out the strawberry shape, sew a background of your choice, cut out the green part and machine applique on the background. OR - I am sure someone could figure out a pattern in EQ for you. I have a pieced duck pattern (one large yellow duck) so this would be the same idea. Good luck. Post pictures when you have it finished.
    I like the idea of making your own fabric by sewing a background of reddish/orange fabrics and then cut out the berry with your 1/4" for needle turn. You could do the same with the greens. It would be unique and so very different. Looking forward to seeing the pictures when you're finished!
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...