Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need info on wool quilts! >

I need info on wool quilts!

I need info on wool quilts!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:51 PM

I have searched the internet for detailed information on some questions pertaining to wool quilts, and cant find it. This is the place to come, I dont know why it took me so long to ask!
1) When piecing the blocks together, do you put it, the blocks together like a "regular" quilt?Do you press the seams to one side, or open them up & press?
2) Do you still have a quarter inch seam allowance, or is it more, or less!
3) If you applique, should you use like Heat n Bond Lite since the fabric is heavier than cotton, then use the pearl cotton to do your stiches around the applique?
I apperciate all of your help, thanks! :D
Old 05-12-2010, 06:43 PM

I'm looking forward to some answers to your same questions. In cleaning my closets, I came across all sorts of pendleton woolI bougth many years ago to make suits - former life when worked in a professional office - now I do not need suits and the wool feels so nice to the touch. The wool looks in good shape -I stored it with cedar blocks so I do not see any moth holes.

So if anyone can answer the original question, you will make two board members very happy. :D
Old 05-12-2010, 07:29 PM

This website has a little information on wool quilts. Making one is on my long list of future projects - http://www.quiltsbycts.com/quilts/wool_quilts.htm

I googled too and didn't come up with many results.

Vickie
Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

The Angels were guiding my hands tonight. I found a book I have had for many years titled "The Wool Quilt" by Jean Dubois. Published in 1978. I will look through for some suggestions.
Meanwhile my initial thought is to decide how the quilt will be used - to cover, a throw or wallhanging.
I have a wook throw that my aunts made many years ago. It is simple squares. Therefore, I would consider simple shapes as the bulk of seams might be nearly unmanagable.
I also remember my aunts making clothing from wool and they always shrank the wool before working with it.
I glanced through the book and saw 1/4" seams mentioned and some good info about applique. I'll try and search more.
It would be helpful to know how you plan to use the quilt.
A few years ago there was a wonderful exhibit of wool quilts at the Vermont Quilt Festival. They, of course, were antique quilts and many were wholecloth in design and hand quilted.
So I await answers to the questions above and see what I can find.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Banned

There is a copy of "The Wool Quilt" Patterns and Possibilities, now on ebay. price is $5.99
Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
There is a copy of "The Wool Quilt" Patterns and Possibilities, now on ebay. price is $5.99
I hope she gets it!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Power Poster

I had saved the following website on making small wool quilts:
http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/felte...t-pattern.html

And this example of a wool quilt for inspiration:
http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=5426

I think with wool seams you want to press them open with steam, and possibly even pound them open toreduce bulk -- at least, with felted wool. Dressmake weight wool might not need that treatment.

I would definitely not use less than 1/4" seam allowance; maybe more for felted wool so the bulk could be distributed with pinking shears or grading. For the seam allowance, I would probably do sample pieces to find out how the seam allowances will lay. Wool has different weights, so I'm thinking a lot will depend on the weight of the wool.

For applique, the website examples I gave are all of felted wool. Felted wool does not need a turned-under edge; raw edge is fine. Felted wool would not require a fusible.

For non-felted wool, I would make a few samples to see if fusible would work for raw edge. Or, for turned under edges, I would use a freezer paper technique such as Harriet Hargrave's.

Would you be doing the stitching around appliques by hand or machine? In either case, if you want the stitching to show, you would want to use a heavier weight thread such as pearl cotton. Again, I would make a few samples to figure out what is going to work best. (Incidentally, if you are doing the stitching by machine, you can simply treat two threads as one through the needle to make a too-fine weight thread look heavier.)

Weight can be a concern with wool quilts.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:19 AM

WOW! You guys are awesome! I would be using the quilt for the bed, the winters here are brutal! I think a wool quilt would be the perfect thing to snuggle up under.
I have bought some felted wool, and the rest is from clothes and scarves I pick up at yard sales, ( I always check to make sure its 100% wool). I have quite a collection and would like to get it started soon. Some of the applique pieces are a little thicker than the base wool I will be using, I think it's fulled wool, I read an artical on it.
The pattern I have based this quilt on, is Spooky Threads, with my own twist.
All applique will be done by hand, just the blocks will be machined pieced.
The pattern for the blocks I have drafted is just 14" blocks,I dont want alot of bulk, or to have the blocks take away from the applique.
All of you have been a great help, thank you (((HUGS)))
Old 05-13-2010, 03:30 AM

Prism, That Woodsland wool quilt, OMG! You were right, now thats inspiration at its best! Mine is not that detailed, my eyes are too bad for that, lol. I read that her background and backing is flannel, this gives me something else to think about now :-D !
Old 05-13-2010, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
The Angels were guiding my hands tonight. I found a book I have had for many years titled "The Wool Quilt" by Jean Dubois. Published in 1978. I will look through for some suggestions.
Meanwhile my initial thought is to decide how the quilt will be used - to cover, a throw or wallhanging.
I have a wook throw that my aunts made many years ago. It is simple squares. Therefore, I would consider simple shapes as the bulk of seams might be nearly unmanagable.
I also remember my aunts making clothing from wool and they always shrank the wool before working with it.
I glanced through the book and saw 1/4" seams mentioned and some good info about applique. I'll try and search more.
It would be helpful to know how you plan to use the quilt.
A few years ago there was a wonderful exhibit of wool quilts at the Vermont Quilt Festival. They, of course, were antique quilts and many were wholecloth in design and hand quilted.
So I await answers to the questions above and see what I can find.
Thats the same site that I saw yesterday before posting my question. Not much "how to" info, huh? I was a little dissapointed.