Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I need a little help

Blog Entries
    I am joining a round robin group at my guild. I'm used to making 12 1/2 inch blocks (for the Shoebox Club) but now I need an 18 1/2 inch block pattern for the center. Something not complicated but interesting (maybe using 3 or 4 colors). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lynn

quilterscache.com has some larger block patterns.
    I imagine you could enlarge a smaller block to the size you need too, but I haven't figured out how to do that myself yet!

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45136-3.htm This is a link to a RR on this board that is finishing up. On page 3 the center photos start posting. You might get some ideas for the center and the other rounds. Enjoy:)

http://www.quilterscache.com/BlocksbySizeE.html Scroll to the 18" ones, and maybe you can find one you like there.

It's easy to enlarge most 12" patterns to 18" or even a 9" to 18". For 12"--you multiply by 1.5 and for 9"--you just double everything--multiply by 2. You could even take a 6" block & triple it. Try your math with paper first to see if you like the results. Sew it together just like fabric or tape it--remember the seam allowance if you tape it. Less guilt throwing paper in the trash than fabric!

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone.

Lynn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    It's easy to enlarge most 12" patterns to 18" or even a 9" to 18". For 12"--you multiply by 1.5 and for 9"--you just double everything--multiply by 2. You could even take a 6" block & triple it. Try your math with paper first to see if you like the results. Sew it together just like fabric or tape it--remember the seam allowance if you tape it. Less guilt throwing paper in the trash than fabric!
    Just remember not to double the seam allowances too :wink: :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Right--take away the seam allowance before figuring how much to increase/decrease and then put it back. Sorry I forgot to mention that part. By habit now, I break a block down by gridding it and then adding on the seam allowance before cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Right--take away the seam allowance before figuring how much to increase/decrease and then put it back. Sorry I forgot to mention that part. By habit now, I break a block down by gridding it and then adding on the seam allowance before cutting.
    this is the way i do it also