Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
i need a machine quilting tip. >

i need a machine quilting tip.

i need a machine quilting tip.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

What about some vinyl sold on the roll in either Walmart or JAF?? You would need to secure it tight. I have heard of using wax but not sure what type.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:54 AM

I find that machiners quilting gloves really help. I have two different kinds, I have the Fons and Porter ones and the Grabaroos kind. Both are good. The Fons and Porter ones are like cotton gloves with bumps all over and are great for comfort and smaller projects. The Grabaroos are like Isotoner gloves and only have bumps on the fingertips are perfect for large jobs.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

I use Machingers gloves and Super Slider. The main thing is to have no weight pulling on the quilt. Have all the quilt supported level with the machine. You can use a folding table or your adjustable ironing board. I quilt with my machine table in the corner that way the quilt doesn't drop off the back. Spray basting is messy. Try using Elmer's School glue next time or Pinmoors. No need to do the tedious basting methods anymore.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:29 AM

Supreme Sliders are great but also really expensive. I bought two sets of these and stuck them down to my sewing table with double-sided tape and they're GREAT! Nice and slippery and a fraction of the cost of a supreme slider, especially when you figure out how much these cover. My whole table is slippery now, it's wonderful.

http://smile.amazon.com/LARGE-Teflon...lon+oven+liner

I also agree, gloves! Or some sort of fabric gripping device. (dry sponges will even work in a pinch)
Old 07-28-2014, 05:59 PM

Bed bath and beyond has the teflon oven liners. about 10 dollars. They are pretty large and work great. Just tape them down like Sewnoma says. And punch a hole for your needle.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
There's something you can get at the quilt shop. I believe it's called Supreme Slider - it's like a piece of shiny plastic material (?) and it's to take care of the problem you describe. When I took a machine quilting class the teacher said it makes your sandwich glide, but I've not used it.
This made a huge difference for me.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:16 PM

I got a Supreme Slider and it did make a difference. I got the regular size and now wish I had bought the queen sized one, even for lap sized quilts. Might have to put that on my Christmas list! Also, although I regularly support my local quilt stores a lot, the Supreme Slider was a lot cheaper on Amazon. The other thing I've learned from one of my Craftsy classes is to make sure the quilt sandwich is not hanging over any edge of the table. It's much better to have it pilled up on top of the table than hanging off even a little bit.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

A babylock demonstrator told our group to use Pledge to make surfaces slick for quilting
Old 07-29-2014, 03:54 AM

I'm not sure I understand what is "tacky". If you sprayed your layers maybe you used too much spray. It doesn't take much to be enough. If you sprayed the bed of the machine, that's not what it's meant for and waxing the bed or using a sliding medium such as baking paper or a supreme slider should help with that. I hope some of the suggestions will be helpful for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:04 AM

I have great luck using Glad Press and Seal on the bed of my machine. It sticks temporarily, and really helps the quilt to glide. Just be sure to remove it each day when you're done, otherwise you need to clean the sticky stuff off the bed of your machine.(with something like pledge). The only negative to this, for me, is that I need to peel it back for each bobbin change.
I have a supreme slider (which I bought from my sewing machine dealer- big bucks-$$$) which I hate. It rolls up and gets stuck under the quilt and I'm constantly stopping to keep from quilting it into the quilt.