Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a new Iron - what do you use? >

I need a new Iron - what do you use?

I need a new Iron - what do you use?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

I bought a Black & Decker Classic. Love it!!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
I bought a Black & Decker Classic. Love it!!
I bought a 'revised' B&D Classic last winter - it has two new features that my older B&D Classic didn't:

Can see the water level - doesn't hold much water compared to some other irons
It has automatic shut-off

It gets really hot.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:47 AM

I love my Black & Decker Digital Avantage that I bought when my Rowenta croaked!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:15 AM

I bought the Oliso iron Jenny uses on Missouri Quilt co. It's no big deal to me. I prefer my cheap Black & Decker I bought years ago.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 AM

I did away with a leaky Rowenta(#2) and replaced it with a Black & Decker. It has auto shut-off and I have had very good luck with it. I do use the Auto Clean function frequently.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:49 PM

I have the Continental dry iron. I got mine on Amazon.com, but will check out Home Depot if I ever have to replace it, because it was $10 less at HD. I don't usually use steam, tho' the B&D I had was a steam iron. I had just started doing some stuff with fusibles, so I got the Continental, mainly because I was tired of finding unfused spots where a steam hole was. I also like the Continental because (1) it gets hot! and (2) it doesn't have an auto-shut off. If I ever do get another steam iron, I will get the Reliable (which is what they are using on Fons & Porter this season). The company is supposed to be very good about customer service.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:05 PM

I have a Black & Decker Digital Advantage, actually two, one I keep in my sewing room on my big board. It never leaves the room. The other lives downstairs where anyone can use it, not that anyone else ever does, but I digress. I love this iron because it holds a lot of water so I don't have to refill it as often, plus it has a nice long cord. It is heavy when it's full, but I like that feature because I don't have to press hard at all, the weight of the iron does it for me. I think I paid less than $30 apiece for them.

I do use steam and the only steam iron I ever had leakage issues with was a Rowenta that cost over $100. My favorite iron ever was a Sunbeam that I inherited from my mom before I went off to college nearly 30 years ago. It was old when I got it from her. It was a sad day when it finally gave up the ghost a few years ago. They just don't make them like they used to.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Does anyone know what kind of iron Jenny uses on Missouri Quilt Co. tutes that are on youtube? I only noticed this morning as she was pressing blocks...that she set the iron down on it's face and it immediately popped up about an inch. To keep from burning the pad..but how does it do that, and what brand is it? I love that feature!
Jennie has an Oliso, I have the same iron and love it. I had one for just over a year when the auto shut-off stopped working and they replaced it for free, (Still under warranty, because for once I sent the warranty card in). They are pretty pricey and who knows how long this one will last, but I love it. It steams well and the little pop-up feet are pretty cool. Don't know that I would recommend it because they are so expensive, and I have read where tons of people buy inexpensive irons that last forever. If I had it to do over again I would still get an Oliso..
Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 PM

I also have an Oliso and so far, I love it. I especially like when I am piecing. All you do it touch the handle and it lowers. . . let go of the handle and it raises. Surprisingly, I think it saves me time.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:13 PM

I love my Oliso Iron. It is so nice not to have to set it upright, helps my hands. About leaking, the only time it leaked was when I overfilled it, other than that it has never leaked. It gets plenty hot and lots of steam when I want it. It is worth the $$. I haven't regretted a dine.