Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a new "little" machine...Janome Gem Gold Plus? >

I need a new "little" machine...Janome Gem Gold Plus?

I need a new "little" machine...Janome Gem Gold Plus?

Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 AM

I have a Janome Gem that I actually bought at the same time as my 6600, simply because of the need for an extra machine and a free-arm. I have never regretted that decision. The free-arm is terrific, and it has a surprisingly strong motor. I don't sew garments much anymore, but I do make a fair number of bags, and the free-arm comes in handy, and sews through many layers without a problem. I've even done some fmq on it and it worked great.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by canmitch1971 View Post
I have a Janome Platinum that I bought for classes...it is a regular little crackerjack...I love it.
I, too, have the Janome Platinum, and a plexiglass table to go along with it. Love it for piecing. Well worth the investment. I bought mine from a gentleman on Ebay for $200 and that included all the feet plus the table.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

I'm not familiar with that machine, but then I haven't been looking. However, I wanted to commend you for introducing your niece and nephew to sewing and quilting. Way to go. It was also very nice for you to send a machine home with them, as well as fabric. I need to take my Janome in for check up and some maintenance, so I may be tempted to look at what the store has to offer, although I won't be going back to where I bought the Janome. I want to look at what this other quilting shop has to offer, as I know they do carry Husquervanas (sp) and possible another brand, not sure, but they are a lot closer and easier to get to. I'll let you know if I take the plunge or not, probably not as I don't really have the money for a new/used machine right now.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 PM

LOVE my Janome. Had 6600 upgraded to 8900 Wow Great days sewing. Had Jem 720 but was spoiled by cutter on 6600-----So I upgraded to 3160 An upscale version of the Jem.
Can not say enough good things about my Janomes.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:21 PM

I also have the brothers CS6000i and the janome 6600 and the bobbins are interchangeable... I use prewound bobbins that I purchased from Shoppers Rule... You can also use any snap in feet on both machines... Love them both,...
Old 02-23-2014, 02:28 PM

I have a Janome gem 720 and 6600 and LOVE them both. The 720 is a great little workhorse - needle up and down - lots of feet - + the walking foot (which doesn't come with the machine) is great. Also speed control and stitch length adjusts. I take it to workshops and classes - very light weight and I would fully recommend it !
Old 02-23-2014, 05:33 PM

Yeah,,,pay it forward....what a great thing you did!
I have a Janome 3160, since most of my classes require a lot of piecing...It has the auto thread cutter, can't do without it.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by pegquilter8 View Post
LOVE my Janome. Had 6600 upgraded to 8900 Wow Great days sewing. Had Jem 720 but was spoiled by cutter on 6600-----So I upgraded to 3160 An upscale version of the Jem.
Can not say enough good things about my Janomes.
The 3160 is my new front-runner right now. It's more than I wanted to spend, but I really want that thread cutter! I'm crossing my fingers for a used one at the dealer, but I'll be really lucky if that happens!

Originally Posted by luvrazz View Post
I also have the brothers CS6000i and the janome 6600 and the bobbins are interchangeable... I use prewound bobbins that I purchased from Shoppers Rule... You can also use any snap in feet on both machines... Love them both,...
My 6600 is apparently very picky with bobbins - it would NOT work with my CS6000i bobbins. Janome brand work fine, anything else and I get intermittent bobbin jams. Even if I wound the Brother bobbins on my Janome...still would jam. Frustrating since they look nearly identical!

I couldn't NOT give those kids a machine though. Which of you could have resisted? LOL I figured my niece would be into sewing, she's a crafty girl. I was pleasantly surprised that my nephew took to it with so much enthusiasm, though. I made him the "sewing machine fixer" and made sure he could fully thread the machine, clear a jam, and change the needle. He picked it right up! I didn't get into rotary cutters, though. I figured scissors were good enough for now - they don't need to be shortening their fingers!
Old 02-23-2014, 06:57 PM

DH bought me a Janome Silver 662 at an Estate sale I love that little machine & how quiet it is. It helped me decide on my next sewing machine a (you guessed it) Janome 6600. I am currently saving for it. As I have 4 machines including the Silver & others all older machines but in working order so I have plenty of time to save.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:54 PM

I finally settled on my new "little" machine. I don't even want to call it a back up machine, it's too nice! I'm going to have to find space to set it up so I can always have it out. It's too nice to put in the closet!

It's a Janome 3160 QDC. Best small/portable free-arm machine I could find that had the scissor cut button. I'm so spoiled by my 6600 that I didn't think I could do without that button!

I should be able to pick it up in a week.