Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a new sewing machine >

I need a new sewing machine

I need a new sewing machine

Old 07-08-2011, 05:08 AM

I don't need anything at all fancy - - or expensive - - or that will do anything special. My old machine, a 1969 Montgomery Ward cabinet model that my husband bought for me our first Christmas together in 1969, bunches the bobbin thread. I've had it worked on several times, and it is so old, it won't stay fixed for more than a few seams. So after 42 years, I think it's time to say goodbye. It does straight stitches and if it wants to show off, zig-zag, and I don't really need a lot more than that. Well, maybe just a little. I'm thinking of a Brother SQ9000. Anyone had any experience with that machine? If so, any comments -- good or bad? Like I said, I don't do enough sewing to justify a lot of expense. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 AM
klc

I've owned a Singer (like your old machine), then a brother (I got a Costco) and now a Janome Horizon (which I love!). All three are great machines. All my machines are in good working order. I love the brother for sewing, but not quilting. There is not enough room to fit the quilt. The nicer the machine, the more sewing you will want to do. If you can go and try out some different machines. Then decide. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:15 AM

I generaly don't do new. Maybe you just need a nice old one? I find them to be quite reliable.
Unless you can afford a new one. Then get the best one you can!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:32 AM

I also like recycled items, I know the old ones don't have the bells and whistles, but most have what I need.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:22 AM

I just bought the Kenmore computerized machine on sale for $233. Kemore is made by Janome. The Janome version of this same machine sell for $400. (Janome DC 2010) The quality is amazing. It has 50 built in stitches although it does say that it has 110. It has needle up/down and lockstitch. It is so quiet too. I highly recommend it.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 AM

Just remember the old addage, "You get what you pay for". Get the best that you can afford.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Janet P.
I just bought the Kenmore computerized machine on sale for $233. Kemore is made by Janome. The Janome version of this same machine sell for $400. (Janome DC 2010) The quality is amazing. It has 50 built in stitches although it does say that it has 110. It has needle up/down and lockstitch. It is so quiet too. I highly recommend it.
I like Kenmore. I had a Kenmore clothes dryer that lasted 22 years. Maybe I'll look at Sears this weekend. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:37 AM

Whatever you choose to get, look at the harp space before you decide! (Just in case: the harp space is the area between the head of the machine and the post of the machine)

Brother machines tend to have small harps, Janome is a bit better, as are the Kenmores. Makes a big difference if you're planning to quilt on it...can be really difficult to push even a twin size quilt thru that space!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Janet P.
Kenmore is NOT made by Janome as people frequently post here. They're made off the same specs. but not by the same company.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:24 AM

Check out patternreview.com for machine reviews and advice. Whatever you do test drive, test, drive, test drive! If you buy online, be sure about the return policies and costs (restocking fee? Who pays return shipping?) and test drive it at home. I don't know what your budget or needs/wants are, but two machines I can recommend are the Bernina 440QE (I bought mine used) and the Baby Lock Quest Plus (which has been replaced by the Serenade). They give me endless sewing pleasure.