Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I need to rip a seam

I need to undo and can't tell the thread from the backing. The thread is the same color as the backing. I tried to stitch in the ditch and somehow screwed up. It is only one row, but have others done and I can't undo the whole thing.

Any idea as to how to undo that stitch?

Gilla

Magnifying glass? Might work to show the thread that you need.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    If you tug gently on the top thread, it should bring up a little loop of the bobbin thread, then you can gently unpick it from the front, using the tail of your top thread to pull the bobbin thread through then stick the point of your seam ripper through the loop and ease it through, one stitch at a time. Just been doing a bit of that myself this evening! Must be something in the air. :shock: :D

I have a magnifying glass on my OTT light and that works great to see the stitches when they are the same as the fabric. Good luck!

Good lighting is a must. I love my Ott lamp. Everything else has already been mentioned.

Beachlady, you must have been hitting the send button as I was typing! Great minds!

Blog Entries
    I agree the Ott light is great. I couldn't sew at night without it. I can see black thread on black fabric at midnight.

Blog Entries
    Can you get in between the fabric and batting with a seam ripper? Sometimes it's easier that way.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Can you get in between the fabric and batting with a seam ripper? Sometimes it's easier that way.
    I tried that, but I have already too much done to get there. I ut away for tonight. I was going stir crazy.

Gilla

Blog Entries
    I used to be really fussy with my stitch in the ditch, but once it's washed and puckers a little, mistakes are barely noticeable! A few months ago I got a new machine that does a really nice serpentine stitch (wavy side to side). I use that almost all the time instead of stitching in the ditch. It's prettier, and I don't have to be perfect! It looks great with a variegated thread too!