Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some help with the 5 min block

I need some help with the 5 min block

I see the u tub on this 5 min block. I look like all her strips are the same. But I try it they never come out like that is it the inch's . I have 3 the long one is the size I wont the one that look like it was just junk cloth I was playing with any one know how long and wide she is going on this
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I have never done this block, so I can't help you right now. Will look at the the video later and if you have no response, I will see if I can help you. Right now I have to go back to watch a triathalon, my grand daughters are in it.

Oh thank you. Hum grand kid are help I would pick grand kid ever time lol

Blog Entries
    OK I haven't done this, but I looked on the youtube site. 1st one you did looks good, 2nd one you did the fabric pieces were not wide enough. 3rd one fabric too wide. If I had to guess, I would say that the fabric is twice as long as it is wide. so you would have 4x8, 3x6 etc. hope this helps.
    Side note: If you make flying geese using this method, make sure you have the middle fabric 1/2 inch shorter so you don't loose the point on the end.
    Last edited by diamondee; 07-21-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: more added

Hi, my suggestion would be to go to Ricki Timms YouTube for 3D flying geese It is the same block but he gives very clear size instructions. Basically he gives you the formula to make any size and it is
    so easy to follow. Good Luck
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

Blog Entries
    I have made the 5 minute block with much success using measurements from a board member. I used 4 1/2 by 8 1/2. I am sure that you can use different measurements but have not tried any others. I also recommend the Ricky Timms video on you tube for the flying geese. Good luck!!
    quilter711
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    Looks like you are placing the middle fabric at the length end instead of the width.
    Got fabric?

thank you all . See I know this was the place to go. I should not have cut it all out. I have 3 by 8 so if I take that 8 down to 6 it should work XXX that my finger lol thank you

Someone posted in another discussion about this block that the pieces are 4-1/2 x 8-1/2, but the middle piece is a 4-3/4 square. It seems to me it shouldn't matter how long the blocks are (6-1/2 or 8-1/2), but the extra quarter inch of the middle piece makes it or breaks it.

Here's the link to that discussion. Look on page 4, post 35...

5 minute block

But I haven't tried it yet, so I could be wrong. I'm going to look for the Ricky Timms tute.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlummi View Post
    thank you all . See I know this was the place to go. I should not have cut it all out. I have 3 by 8 so if I take that 8 down to 6 it should work XXX that my finger lol thank you
    I made a sample block after watching the video. I calculated that if I used 6-1/2" by 3-1/2" strips, I would get a square of 6-1/2 inches. The key is to get two strip widths that will give you the same measurement as your length after subtracting out the two (2) 1/4" seam allowances. So, 3-1/2" times 2 equals 7". Subtract 1/2" for the two seam allowances and you get 6-1/2", which equals the length of the strip. If you have 3" wide strips, now, you may want to try a sample with 5-1/2" lengths. So, 3" times 2 equals 6" ... subtract 1/2" for the seam allowances and you get a 5-1/2" block.

This block is new to me, also. I think I am on the right track, but others may have suggestions.

Cathy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast