Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some help...

Hi all,
    I started an applique quilt...my first... and now I'm stuck.
    The pattern says to fuse the pieces on, which I did, but now what? Do I stitch them on before I make the "sandwich" or do I wait? The flowers need some details stitched on also, but should I do it now or when I'm quilting it? I'm so confused and don't know what to do next.... help!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Blog Entries
    I have no idea, but you quilt is looking beautiful! Hopefully someone will come along soon that know about this.

Gramadona: If it was me I would do all the stitching before it is quilted. If you do it now you can turn your work to get to the stitched you need and add the detail easyer. and you don't have to be careful not to get in to the backing. It look great so have fun and happy quilting.

Blog Entries
    Yes, you can now secure the fused pieces to the background. Your choices depend on your machine and your style. You can do basic threadplay to add some texture to the petals. You can do a decorative outline stitch all around the shapes (I like either blanket stitch, zig-zag stitch or a tight satin stitch). Or, you can do a basic straight stitch (sort of like a top stitch) all around the edge of each shape. You can either match the color of thread to the color of the patch - or you can use a contrasting thread across all colors. Just have fun.

Machine stitch the edges with a blanket stitch, or you can use decorative stitches on your machine, or a combination of both, embroidery accents, beadwork, ect....Many creative ways to complete your piece.....and it is beautiful!!!

Fusing isn't permanent!!! I warn customers all the time. :) Try going the edges with you machine...you could also blanket stitch by hand. Great piece!

If you decide to use a machine satin stitch around each piece you may wish to use a stabalizer underneath such as stitch and tear. I have heard used fabric dryer sheets work too but have no personal experience with those. I have always gotten some unsightly puckers when trying to satin stitch without it. This is beautiful by the way and I like you color choices alot better then the pattern picture.

Yes do everything before you sandwich...stitch around all appliques to hold them in place and do your decortive stitching

Blog Entries
    You do have another option. I only do the tops of my quilts, and send them to a quilter (fabulous) who does
    "raw-edge applique." Trusting her, I sent my iron-on applique top to her. She not only secured the edges, she did all the detail work that you see here. It caught my breath when I opened the package from the post office. She turned it into a work of art! IMHO
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lovin' the poppies!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast