Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I really messed up

I just started working on the Mayfly Mischief quilt top and discovered I did a horrible job of cutting it out. Inaccurate and on two of the main focus blocks I cut them 7 1/2 x 7 instead of 7 1/2 square :( Now I have to try and find more of the fabric.

I usually do my cutting out while sitting down at a table. This time I was standing up at my drapery table. I think maybe it is too high and I wasn't able to see well enough or something. Sure did a bad job. And I thought I was being so careful.

I was going to take the finished top with me when I visit my mom in CO on monday and use her bigger drapery table to get it sandwiched. Guess that won't be happening now :(

Oh well, more time to visit!

Bummer

Bummer ;-( what's a drapery table?

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    Bummer ;-( what's a drapery table?
    My mother and I had a custom drapery business together and these are the tables that you make the drapes on. Hers is 48" x 120". Mine is smaller. It is the size of a door. They are plywood covered in celotex fiberboard, then a layer of folded flannel sheets and topped with cotton duck fabric. They are made this way so you can stick pins in them to hold the fabric in place. They are tall since you have to stand and sew the drapes. I have mine sitting on top of a drafting table and I think I have it adjusted to the wrong height.

so sorry to hear you messed up. I am sure when you come back you will have a clear head and be able to work something out
    I have a piece of laminated chip board 4ft + 12ft in the mothers and babies room (cats Kittens) I use it to fold long lenghts of material I bought some whole bolts and it is great to roll them out to cut to a manageable size, I never thought to add a topping to it to work from but now i am getting my longarm and bed I might not need to do that.

It's always so frustrating when that happens.

I just hate it when that happens.

Blog Entries
    You could piece the too-short squares. Just find a scrap of matching fabric to add on, then trim. Old-time quilters used to piece fabric like this a lot, even with non-matching scraps. I think it adds charm to a quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    You could piece the too-short squares. Just find a scrap of matching fabric to add on, then trim. Old-time quilters used to piece fabric like this a lot, even with non-matching scraps. I think it adds charm to a quilt.
    Good idea. I've seen it done recently in a jelly roll quilt along. Once quilted
    it probably won't even show.

Some of my quilting friends think I'm wasting time and fabric, but after doing this twice, I always make a TEST block. So sorry it has happened to you. Pam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast