Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I remembered why I took up quilting! >

I remembered why I took up quilting!

I remembered why I took up quilting!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:27 PM

I started making baby quilts, usally using panels and putting them together. I decided one day to just start cutting our different squares and rectangles of fabric to make a peiced baby quilt. I discovered I enjoyed trying to make something out of those little bits of fabric. After that and talking with a friend who is a quilter, I started looking into patterns and different types of quilting, I wanted to get better to so I started paying attention to the proper way cut fabric so it cuts correctly. I also actually started to try and do the quilting part, still working on that part. But it is relaxing when I feel like things are spinning out of control. Besides it is a nicer distraction than the t.v.

Last edited by valsma; 12-28-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:29 PM

I started quilting after I found several of my great-grandmothers quilts. In one case I found embroidered songbird blocks for each of the states; she had done these when there were only 48 states - 50's ?? - and nobody had never made them into a quilt. I've been working on that quilt for about 12 years now - doing it all by hand. Someday it will be done. Another great-grandmother made quilts even after she was blind; she made me a lavender star quilt for my new bedroom when I was 10. I'm sure she only did the top but I still cherish it. My mother sewed and did handwork (crochet and embroidery) but couldn't/wouldn't teach me because I was left-handed. She tried teaching my sister-in-law later but they didn't get far. So I'm the only one now left and I'm quilting, sewing, crocheting, etc. I even taught counted cross stitch at one point.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:30 PM

I started making them as an inexpensive way to make sure that my staff's new babies had a personal gift from me. My goodness, that was way back in 1977! Been going strong ever since, though I don't do much handquilting any more since I have a Gammill.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:50 PM

I found a pattern for these cute little cats - appliques and you made clothes for them too. So I bought one and started a quilt for my little grandson...never finished it, but saved it. Then I bought a new sewing machine about 5-6 years later and tried embroidery...made a lot of cute little embroideries and decided to make a quilt with them....now I don't enjoy the embroidery any more and just make quilts...always trying new ones. Oh I did finish the cat quilt eventually for a newer grandchild.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 PM

I had made clothing all my life. When I retired I went to a resort with a quilting group. I visited it and ws hooked.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:25 PM

I went to the quilting guild with my sister, just to support her. I swore I was not interested in quilting, even though I have been sewing all my life. My sister, an experienced quilter, then started teaching a "how to quilt class." Again, I took the class to support her. ThenI was hooked. That was 2 years ago and I just finished my 33rd quilt. Yup, I have become a "serial quilter."

Dina
Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 PM

I started sewing at age 11 after seeing all the beautiful dresses my friend wore. Her mother made them all and hand quilted too. Her quilts were beautiful. I kept on sewing, made a baby quilt at age 21 but never cared much for hand quilting. A friend took classes and made some quilts on the sewing machine. I went away to Texas for 2 months and went to the quilting club in the campground. Found out that I could do it on my old machine, came home and took classes. Fell totally in love with quilting and either am quilting, thinking about quilting or reading about it.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:03 PM

My Mom was 'declining' and needed 24 hour 'stupid-vision'. I was the only one not working anymore, so I took the job. She'd sit and watch TV or sleep in her chair most of the day. I quickly realized i needed something to do, so went over to Walmart and bought some fabric. Mom had quilted, so there were already quilting tools on hand.

That was 2.5 years ago and she's gone to her reward, but I'm still quilting.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:42 PM

I started sewing when I was in high school. But quilting came much later. My Mom did some quilting but she passed away in 1988. I was raising two boys and did not really have time or money to learn to quilt. But then in 1999, my maternal grandmother gave me one of her hand pieced tops and said for me to hand quilt it. Wow, I had never done any hand quilting, but she said to get busy learning. She never showed me how, so I got a book and started learning. I really do enjoy hand quilting and think of my grandmother everytime I sit down to quilt. She is 90 years old now and in a nursing home. She is not able to quilt now due to her eyesight failing, but we talk about it a lot.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 AM

I started about 30 years ago when I decided to make a quilt for my cousin's baby. Didn't know anything about quilting, but I did sew clothing. I made the blocks with that old "liquid embroidery" (anyone remember that?). I have tried every craft known to man--practically--but now it's just quilting and a little counted cross stitch. I got rid of everything else. Opened up a lot of room for fabric!! I have probably 15 projects to finish. I will get busy in the new year.
Sue